Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default building a new stand

Ok, looks like the main tank set up is going to be a little longer off than I thought, I have decided that I don't like the amount of space my tank and stand is taking up so I have decided to build a new stand and incorporate it into an already existing room divider and extend it to ceiling hight. so what my initial plans are is to remove this divider and then fix the wall up behind it. then I will stud in my new stand to about 1" from the ceiling and drywall it. at the top I am thinking a chunk of molding to make it look like it goes right to the ceiling. By doing this I will almost double the available space in my front room.

Here are a couple pic of what I am starting with

if there is anyone who has built a tank into a wall or used drywall as a enclosure substrate I would like to know any problem you encountered and how you worked around them. Ie. paint for inside, ect.. I am thinking of painting the interior with a marine enamel but haven't decided yet.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:28 AM

Midknight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Midknight Send a message via Yahoo to Midknight

Hey Steve,

If you want to "drywall" the stand in use cement board instead. It works just like drywall except that it will not fall apart if it gets wet.
Builders use it in showers because of this so it should work pretty good for this.

Dan
Old 07-28-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midknight
Hey Steve,

If you want to "drywall" the stand in use cement board instead. It works just like drywall except that it will not fall apart if it gets wet.
Builders use it in showers because of this so it should work pretty good for this.

Dan
ya I though about that but the problem is it is not a finnish product for paint.. it is made for tiles... I am thinking now of maybe using MDF instead of drywall as it takes paint realy well.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 AM

Snoop Dog is on a distinguished road

be sure to completley seal the MDF, as any moisture turns it to sponge,
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

My wall is drywall but I only have one side enclosed, so it never gets wet because the side I work on is open. I have splashed it a couple times, I just dried it off quickly, there hasn't been any mold or anything.

I guess you have to figure if it is going to get wet or not?

You could use drywall so you can paint the outside to match the house, then on the inside protect it with MDF or similar, painted with marine paint? You could even put a vapor barrier between the two while you are at it.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:58 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

You could try "greenboard" that is more water resistant than standard drywall and is designed to be painted on. Greenboard will still rot if exposed to constant moisture.

There also isn't just one type of cement board. Certain brands are more easily finished with drywall mud and able to be painted than others. I just finished my bathroom using Denshield (which is a gypsum/cement mix with a vapour barrier) and it extended past where I tiled. The mudder simply blended it with the rest of the drywall and I painted over it. You can hardly tell the difference.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu
There also isn't just one type of cement board. Certain brands are more easily finished with drywall mud and able to be painted than others. I just finished my bathroom using Denshield (which is a gypsum/cement mix with a vapour barrier) and it extended past where I tiled. The mudder simply blended it with the rest of the drywall and I painted over it. You can hardly tell the difference.
yup I know about the different ones but anyone had a fairly rough surface so you would have to cover it with mud and sand it smooth. this is fine for small areas but a whole wall would be nuts. Green board is good for moist locations but it still won't handle direct water of 100% humidity.

I am thinking the MDF is looking the best as it is a lot harder than drywall so it will take more abuse.

Steve

Old 07-29-2006, 01:15 AM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Steve,

I would put some kind of ventilation in the upper part of the wall with fan(s) blowing air out, or something like that. I'm also thinking of some kind of air/heat exchanger that might vent outside, or somewhere convenient. How are you going to access the tank when you need to add frags, or reaquascape, or change the bulbs?

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 07-29-2006, 02:47 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy

Steve

What I would do Steve is do the stand with cement board and finish the outside of the stand with a nice slate tile to accent the floor and walls .
Old 07-29-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus
What I would do Steve is do the stand with cement board and finish the outside of the stand with a nice slate tile to accent the floor and walls .
I think if I was keeping it the same hight I would do tile, but all the way to the celing I think it would look tacky.. almost like a bathroom.

Steve