Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road
Default Ice cap salinity refractometer

I am just curious if anyone on here has purchased one and used it.

I got one awhile back and noticed it was .004 lower than what 2 other hand held refractometer said.

Now we have used 3 different digital refractometers and they’ve all read the same .004 lower than what the other refractometer are claiming.

To be clear 3 tanks at 1.026 when tested with handheld and read 1.022 with the ice cap. The other tank that was 1.025 read 1.021 on ice cap.

On other sites there are people raving its spot on with theirs, wether their using digital or hand held.

I find it hard to believe this is the case so trying to see if anyone has the same problem.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I was looking in to getting one of these but that is concerning. Following along as accuracy is lore important then simplicity.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 PM

604reefer is on a distinguished road

That's interesting... I wouldn't really want to press my luck when you're seeing it the same with 3 other testers.

On a similar note, the new SG calibration fluid "tropic eden" I got on the weekend is showing 37ppt where my older solution is showing 35ppt (old has NSW on the label if that means anything?). Not sure if I should ramp up to the new "35" or keep it where it's at, most stuff seems happy. I hate when there's conflicting results.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:24 PM

George is on a distinguished road

I don't have one but plan to get one. Did you use the same calibration fluid (ideally 35 ppt) to calibrate all devices?
Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

So I emailed Coral Vue about the refractometer and their reply was...

The small rubber cup is throwing the readings off, if you are able to test the water in a glass cup or plastic container this is the best solution. You can also dip the probe in the tank as long as it’s not near any electrical device otherwise it may effect the reading by .01. Make sure the container you test in has even amount of space around the probe as this may effect readings aswell.

I tested it in my refuge and it read 1.026 then in a cup it was 1.027 but when I used the silicone cup provided it tested 1.024. So for conclusion the meter works just don’t use rubbers provided!

Coral Vue should ship out free New testing containers to all the people that have already purchased one as you would think for the price you pay for accuracy how did this big screw up happen.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 04-27-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post

The small rubber cup is throwing the readings off, if you are able to test the water in a glass cup or plastic container this is the best solution. You can also dip the probe in the tank as long as it’s not near any electrical device otherwise it may effect the reading by .01. Make sure the container you test in has even amount of space around the probe as this may effect readings aswell.

I tested it in my refuge and it read 1.026 then in a cup it was 1.027 but when I used the silicone cup provided it tested 1.024. So for conclusion the meter works just don’t use rubbers provided!

Coral Vue should ship out free New testing containers to all the people that have already purchased one as you would think for the price you pay for accuracy how did this big screw up happen.
Lol, that's ridiculous! "Hey the cup we sold it to you with doesn't work properly"

Just noticed on J&L webpage it says "Please note: It has been found that the included cup may distort the results. We recommend testing in a separate glass container (best), or a larger plastic container."

Would you still recommend one without use of the cup? Still thinking of getting one haha
Old 04-27-2018, 04:47 PM

lemon604 is on a distinguished road

I got 2 of the coral life with the swinging arm and always get 2 different reading and both are way off. I got the icecap yesterday and really like it.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post

Bought one today!

Silicone cup: 1.024
In tank: 1.026
In glass: 1.026

If the probe is touching the bottom of the glass the reading drops all the way to 1.023.

The thermometer on it shows tank 2 degrees F higher than my digital kitchen thermometer (lol).

Overall, happy I don't have to use my refractometer constantly