Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I think you are mixing several very distinct issues and blending them into one.

I don't see how anyone could argue against your premise that war is bad. But tell it to the politicians and leaders, not to those who wish to try to comprehend the sacrifices made by INDIVIDUALS, who believed they were making those sacrifices towards a greater good.

I'm not sure I can offer more to this discussion. I wish there wasn't fighting in Iraq and I wish there wasn't fighting in Afganistan and I wish there wasn't such things as genocide and terrorism. And I wish that they could simply be wished away with something as simple as a wish.

Even if one day we get there, we would still have to have a Remembrance Day to remember those fallen before their time.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

As a serving soldier with 1 PPCLI I would like to add a couple of things.

First,
I personally received a phone call over the weekend from a business associate I hadn't heard from in years..all he said thanks for what I do and I tell ya, it felt good to be recognized for the sacrifices that soldiers do make...

Second,
this is not about supporting war.
this is about the soldiers who have, in the past and will to continue to put their lives on the line.

I have personally been in Kosovo, Bosnia, and afghanistan.
Unfortunately there are bad people who do bad things

I agree, war is hell and stupid. I would love to live in a world were there wasn't war.

However, until we get rid of the sickos, dictators, etc etc I support what we do.

As so do the vast majority of the population...thankfully they realize that we live in a real world not ideal.

Ask the albanians that were saved after thousands of their brethern were slaughtered by the thousands by the serbs in kosovo whether or not they think that canadian soldiers are butchers and should be forgotten.

Ask the dutch that still are appreciative of canadians who made the ultimate sacrifice almost a century ago.

The list goes on and on.

if you think that soldiers are unnecessary, you live in a dream world.

Remembering those that sacrifice their lives and lifestyles so that the rest of society can live in a relative peace is the least society can do for those that do what we do.

Showing support for the war in iraq or afghanistan should not be confused with showing support for the people that put everything on the line.

As well, Being a soldier doesn't make you a murderer. I, thankfully, have never had to end anyone's life in the 12 years of doing what I do.

But I know that I have done alot of good..

How do I know this? From the smiles of the children of the countries I have been in. They appreciate the sacrifices being made.

Too bad some in our own country don't.

For those that do,
thanks

MCpl Neal Spicer
1st Battalion Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry.

Last edited by howdy20012002; 11-13-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

MCpl Neal Spicer,

If you ever make it to the coast, look me up & I'll make you dinner, we'll have some drinks & you can tell me some of your "war-stories."

Thank you for serving.

Anthony
Old 11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Hey, Andresont,

NOBODY here is claiming to support the War in Iraq.

This thread is about showing our love & support for our men & women who have served honourably & made sacrifices for our intangible freedoms & rights.

I just wanted people to examine what we've each done or not done on Remembrance Day. On Mother's day we buy her flowers, chocolates & take her out for dinner.
On Father's day we buy him a tie & go for dinner.

On Remembrance or Veteran's Day we do what?
Hard to argue this one...
We honor the veterans!
And ... make a point ...Of learning the history lesson !
BTW we have less and less of intangible the way these things are going.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy20012002 View Post
As a serving soldier with 1 PPCLI I would like to add a couple of things.

First,
I personally received a phone call over the weekend from a business associate I hadn't heard from in years..all he said thanks for what I do and I tell ya, it felt good to be recognized for the sacrifices that soldiers do make...

Second,
this is not about supporting war.
this is about the soldiers who have, in the past and will to continue to put their lives on the line.

I have personally been in Kosovo, Bosnia, and afghanistan.
Unfortunately there are bad people who do bad things

I agree, war is hell and stupid. I would love to live in a world were there wasn't war.

However, until we get rid of the sickos, dictators, etc etc I support what we do.

As so do the vast majority of the population...thankfully they realize that we live in a real world not ideal.

Ask the albanians that were saved after thousands of their brethern were slaughtered by the thousands by the serbs in kosovo whether or not they think that canadian soldiers are butchers and should be forgotten.

Ask the dutch that still are appreciative of canadians who made the ultimate sacrifice almost a century ago.

The list goes on and on.

if you think that soldiers are unnecessary, you live in a dream world.

Remembering those that sacrifice their lives and lifestyles so that the rest of society can live in a relative peace is the least society can do for those that do what we do.

Showing support for the war in iraq or afghanistan should not be confused with showing support for the people that put everything on the line.

As well, Being a soldier doesn't make you a murderer. I, thankfully, have never had to end anyone's life in the 12 years of doing what I do.

But I know that I have done alot of good..

How do I know this? From the smiles of the children of the countries I have been in. They appreciate the sacrifices being made.

Too bad some in our own country don't.

For those that do,
thanks

MCpl Neal Spicer
1st Battalion Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry.
Well said Neal, Thank-you, and your welcome
Old 11-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresont View Post
I think we Are progressing; and the good thing is that unlike only few hundred years ago those who had different opinion were burnt or hanged at the city square for entertainment of the crowd, Today we are more civilized. But we need to get better then that.

As long as this thread is still open (Wow) So lets discuss this shell we.

War has to stop at some point.

Nazi were bad so why repeat the same, why not learn from their mistake?
Should we burn all BMW’s and kill all the Germans now because of the Nazi’s past?

We are not able to care for veterans here nor we able to care for POW’s STILL left in Vietnam and they are dying, only few hundred left; still suffering in prison.
What good is this “Remembrance Day” to Them? They are left behind no one cares anyway, this is all big shame.

So why young people go to war?

Confused and brain washed yes, like Pat Tillman was; they are TOLD that there is an enemy, but they still have choice. It’s not like in some European countries and Israel where people Must serve no choice period. I can understand supporting these troops, but not when they make their own conscious decision.

I wonder if people know that many US soldiers now realized that they made a BIG mistake and they hide here in Canada? Almost 3 thousands now! They even have their own lawyer.
But hey lets call them deserters and make them criminals; poof problem fixed…

Do we see foreign soldiers in our back yards?
Did any country in the world EVER used nukes?
Only Americans did Twice !
And we pay for all this …
When we are TOLD that we are fighting for freedom we loose both freedom and security.

We are always fighting some imaginative enemy; before it was Germany, Russia and many more , now its just war on terrorism , something that you can’t put your finger on . Very creative so funds can be pulled for nothing. 6 years after 9/11 gazilion $ spent and they tell us that is Al-Qaida is even more powerful today then before ?

If war HAS to happen then why SOMPLACE else, why it is always OTHER country that has to suffer for “ FREEDOM” ? And “coincidently” it is Always the one that has Oil (!) Why are we not fighting for freedom in Africa? (no oil there?)

Wake up people!

Zeitgeist movie tells the truth.
Alex Jones is true patriot.
CoastToCoastAM is alternative news media source. 15 million listeners over 500 affiliate radio stations.

So I am just going to quote Delphinus

"Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Love and Peace to you all.

~~~

And perhaps you could make your point without the "wake up people".
Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
And perhaps you could make your point without the "wake up people".
Sure , strike the "Wake Up" part
How about keep an open mind?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 AM

G1GY is on a distinguished road

Sad to see how a well meant thread can end up as a war debate.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG!?!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
Old 11-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

I don't see how anyone could argue against your premise that war is bad. But tell it to the politicians and leaders, not to those who wish to try to comprehend the sacrifices made by INDIVIDUALS, who believed they were making those sacrifices towards a greater good.
Agree, and yes this is political problem , however the point is that INDIVIDUALS have choice to go or not go and that is how individuals Can make a difference and if enough individuals will make a right choice to stay away from war, forgive and forget; and let people be, then war will stop.

It may sound naïve and simplified but what is the alternative?

By the way terrorism is non existent entity it’s made up.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 AM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

I am sorry, but I can't believe you are that naive.
If all the good people stop standing up to the bad people, the bad people win.....yeahh....facism here we come.
I agree that terrorism has become a overused term.
however, terrorism has been around for centuries...
I guess we just have to agree to disagree.