Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Every war is a lie; starting from day zero. There is no enemy only what poor soldiers were “told” that there is.
War is not a solution it’s a problem.
How about those who were killed on the other side will we remember them ?

Call me any name you want; I would NEVER put a sign of bloody murder on, this is something we need to forget not to remember.

I feel for veterans and my grand father was one, but I think we should get on the next level of conscience and stop the killings of ALL life on this beautiful planet.

I am typing this and my hands are shaking.

I have been to many countries including Middle and Far East. People are same everywhere, we are Not different.
There is no reason to kill anybody.

With respect to everybody; I understand and apologize if there is difference in opinions.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I understand what you are saying Andresont, however I'm not sure if I agree with the means to your ends.

Think of the kid who hates learning history in school. What would you tell him to encourage him. I would tell him that it's important to learn from history. "Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

I think of one of the worst disasters in aviation history (Tenerife, Canary Islands, 1977). Two 747's collided on the runway as one attempted take off while the other was still taxiing. I don't know why exactly, but I am haunted by this story. It turns out that the process of radio communications had many flaws and the process of radio communications were changed as a result of this accident. Had the accident not occured, the processes would not have changed. Which, in the end, means that another disaster of the same circumstances would be more likely. So, it is a sad story, but we learned from it and made changes. I know this may seem irrelevant to this topic but to me, it is not. To me it illustrates that we can learn from history.

My family was imprisoned, interred, segregated and tortured as P.O.W.s in WWII. They witnessed countless horrors and murders. These were civilians, not soldiers.

So I absolutely agree with you 100% that war is a problem and not a solution.

Nevertheless, I owe my existence to those who liberated my family. And I recognize that they made many sacrifices.

Remembrance Day to me is about honoring those who served. Yes, politically, there are fights we shouldn't fight. But those who do serve are owed our gratitude, not our scorn.

If it helps you, use Remembrance Day to honor ALL those who sacrificed. It is not a sign of "bloody murder", it is a sign of regret and sadness for those we have lost, and a promise to not forget. Because forgetting would be the saddest outcome of all.

Last edited by Delphinus; 11-12-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Also, if only the "bad guys" choose to make war and the "good guys" don't, then guess who wins.

In WWII, if the Allies, including Canada, had not made the sacrifices needed to stand up to the Axis forces, we would now be living in a world run by Nazi Germany and their Facist partners. More recent wars may be more politically muddled, but I would not want to live in a world where Hitler & his cronies were victorious & in charge. If for no other reason, I choose to honor the people who served and especially those who died so I can enjoy my freedom & human rights.

I study history as a hobby & while wars are horrific, the fight for peace & freedom is sometimes necessary. My grandparents & other members of my family had to live through the Japanese occupation of Malaysia during the Second World War. Again, it is only because others were willing to make the sacrifices that they & countless others survived. In a very real sense, I owe my very existence to those brave souls.

Anthony
Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

My family's story is similar as they were in Indonesia when that country became occupied.

I've asked my Dad if he misses living in a tropical country and would he ever go back to Indonesia. He's gone to visit boyhood friends, but no, he would never go back, the memories are terrible. Of course he would prefer to live in a tropical country but he and my Mom chose Canada to build a life in and have no regrets.

Sometimes I have to remind myself, like this morning as I sat shivering in my car on my drive to work, that there are worse things than cold to live with.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Yes, Delphinus and SHF, many don't realize what their life would be like today without that war.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Tony, I had no idea. I've heard stories from Glenda's family about life in the Phillipines under Japanese occupation and how horrible it was.

I would enjoy to hear your the story of your family one day if you are comfortable sharing it.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 11-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I always remember my grandfathers on Remembrance Day:

Grandpa Jespersen - Pilot

Grandpa Spady - Airplane Mechanic

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 11-13-2007, 04:57 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Also, if only the "bad guys" choose to make war and the "good guys" don't, then guess who wins.

In WWII, if the Allies, including Canada, had not made the sacrifices needed to stand up to the Axis forces, we would now be living in a world run by Nazi Germany and their Facist partners. More recent wars may be more politically muddled, but I would not want to live in a world where Hitler & his cronies were victorious & in charge. If for no other reason, I choose to honor the people who served and especially those who died so I can enjoy my freedom & human rights.

I study history as a hobby & while wars are horrific, the fight for peace & freedom is sometimes necessary. My grandparents & other members of my family had to live through the Japanese occupation of Malaysia during the Second World War. Again, it is only because others were willing to make the sacrifices that they & countless others survived. In a very real sense, I owe my very existence to those brave souls.

Anthony
I have to agree. While I do not like the idea of war and the killing that goes along with it, I think sometimes it is necessary for war to happen so certain freedoms can happen as well. Ideally it would be great if political leaders could solve their problems without going to war, and it would be also great if there wasn't people willing to kill others to get into power positions. However this is not the case in our world and since it's not I'm greatful to the soliders who are willing to stand up to people who want to take freedoms away from others.

Last edited by fishoholic; 11-13-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

I think we Are progressing; and the good thing is that unlike only few hundred years ago those who had different opinion were burnt or hanged at the city square for entertainment of the crowd, Today we are more civilized. But we need to get better then that.

As long as this thread is still open (Wow) So lets discuss this shell we.

War has to stop at some point.

Nazi were bad so why repeat the same, why not learn from their mistake?
Should we burn all BMW’s and kill all the Germans now because of the Nazi’s past?

We are not able to care for veterans here nor we able to care for POW’s STILL left in Vietnam and they are dying, only few hundred left; still suffering in prison.
What good is this “Remembrance Day” to Them? They are left behind no one cares anyway, this is all big shame.

So why young people go to war?

Confused and brain washed yes, like Pat Tillman was; they are TOLD that there is an enemy, but they still have choice. It’s not like in some European countries and Israel where people Must serve no choice period. I can understand supporting these troops, but not when they make their own conscious decision.

I wonder if people know that many US soldiers now realized that they made a BIG mistake and they hide here in Canada? Almost 3 thousands now! They even have their own lawyer.
But hey lets call them deserters and make them criminals; poof problem fixed…

Do we see foreign soldiers in our back yards?
Did any country in the world EVER used nukes?
Only Americans did Twice !
And we pay for all this …
When we are TOLD that we are fighting for freedom we loose both freedom and security.

We are always fighting some imaginative enemy; before it was Germany, Russia and many more , now its just war on terrorism , something that you can’t put your finger on . Very creative so funds can be pulled for nothing. 6 years after 9/11 gazilion $ spent and they tell us that is Al-Qaida is even more powerful today then before ?

If war HAS to happen then why SOMPLACE else, why it is always OTHER country that has to suffer for “ FREEDOM” ? And “coincidently” it is Always the one that has Oil (!) Why are we not fighting for freedom in Africa? (no oil there?)

Wake up people!

Zeitgeist movie tells the truth.
Alex Jones is true patriot.
CoastToCoastAM is alternative news media source. 15 million listeners over 500 affiliate radio stations.

So I am just going to quote Delphinus

"Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Love and Peace to you all.

~~~

Last edited by andresont; 11-13-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Hey, Andresont,

NOBODY here is claiming to support the War in Iraq.

This thread is about showing our love & support for our men & women who have served honourably & made sacrifices for our intangible freedoms & rights.

I just wanted people to examine what we've each done or not done on Remembrance Day. On Mother's day we buy her flowers, chocolates & take her out for dinner.
On Father's day we buy him a tie & go for dinner.

On Remembrance or Veteran's Day we do what?

Last edited by SeaHorse_Fanatic; 11-13-2007 at 06:51 PM.