Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM

bryceschutte is on a distinguished road
Default Feeding corals?

So I have had my tank set up for around 10 months now and I am thinking that this is a real newbie question. Do you feed corals? What and when? I have zoas, frog spawns, and anemones.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:08 PM

sgreen is on a distinguished road

Yes feed your corals. A-Can plus is sold at Red Coral and is a good product. Feeding twice a week depending on your set up.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:31 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

You do not need to feed Zoas, you can feed frogspawn but you certainly don't need to. I have never fed my frogspawn, bubble, or hammer and they have excellent growth and colour. I do feed my anemones raw shrimp (they each get a 1/4"-1/2" piece every other day). If you have a healthy stocking of fish, direct feeding isn't necessary, the fish waste will feed the coral. At this point in the hobby, I have more coral than I have ever had, and healthier than ever, without feeding any of them (I have an SPS tank, LPS/anemone tank, and a softie tank). The trick is water parameters, keep your calk/alk/mag in check and do frequent water changes, the rest will take care of itself. Boy I wish I had all of the money back that I have spent on additives, coral food, and supplements for the tank!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 PM

bryceschutte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
You do not need to feed Zoas, you can feed frogspawn but you certainly don't need to. I have never fed my frogspawn, bubble, or hammer and they have excellent growth and colour. I do feed my anemones raw shrimp (they each get a 1/4"-1/2" piece every other day). If you have a healthy stocking of fish, direct feeding isn't necessary, the fish waste will feed the coral. At this point in the hobby, I have more coral than I have ever had, and healthier than ever, without feeding any of them (I have an SPS tank, LPS/anemone tank, and a softie tank). The trick is water parameters, keep your calk/alk/mag in check and do frequent water changes, the rest will take care of itself. Boy I wish I had all of the money back that I have spent on additives, coral food, and supplements for the tank!
Thank you!

I felt like I was doing it all wrong this whole time.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Whenever I feed Acan Plus to my torch, I always give a few shots to my favia, hammer and zoas. They always seem to appreciate it.