Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 05-02-2009, 05:09 AM

DACJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DACJ
Default New 29G BioCube

Hi all !

First of all, I am a total newbie to salt water aquarium, and this is my first tank, so please bare with me if I did, asked or said anything that is really stupid...

I had the BC for quite a while but I used it for fresh water instead, and things seemed to work out quite well back then, only problem is that waterflow which all the BC owners will definately know what I am talking about whether they had the problem or not, and I've already cut open the flow gate from the 1st chamber to the 2nd chamber.....Then I moved last year, and unfortunately the fresh water fish did not make it, so I washed out the whole thing, had it dry for a little more than half an year, and I am ready to try out salt water now!

I did my initial setup last wednesday (29th of April), within 2 hours, I had live rock, live sand, and water, pump, everything basic in the tank, and then I left for work, by the time I got home (maybe 8 hours later?) water was crystal clear already.

Here is my setup...

The LR was 8.99/lb...which I bought 30lb and costed me a loooooot of money...almost $300. I had the sand in there, then assembled the rocks, then I added the water and made sure the SC was up to where it's supposed to be. I still have the bioballs in the 2nd chamber as the water dripping was way too loud without the balls. I know it's not good for salt water as I will remove it as soon as I get chance. I had no convenient ways of getting spring water or RO water, so I had to use tap water form the shower and used API Stree Coat Conditioner, and used KENT Sea Salt to mix with the water. I forgot what brand was the live sand as I threw the bag right after I finish setting up. I also added a Koralia 1 as the LFS suggested I will need more flow in the tank.

PS- I don't plan to set up a refuge as I don't know how and it seems to need more space and then loses the meaning of me buying a BC.

So at this point the tank seems to be fine, and I went back to do my research on how are people setting it up.

After all the research, I've decided to do the following for my filtration.

-Replace the bioballs with CPR SR3 Skimmer (I am not sure if I can put LR rubble around it as well?)
-Use Chemi-pure Elite and Purigen on top of the drip tray in the 2nd chamber with floss at the flow gate entrance to prevent build up of dirt on the media bags.

Now here are the questions,

-For my CUC, I haven't decide yet what to use but I am leaning towards all hermit and shrimp as someone suggested that hermits will sometimes not get along with the snails very well and people said that eventhough snails do a good job at cleaning but they leave trail marks behind as well, so I just might get a MagFloat with hermit and shrimp instead, that ok?

-I read in an article which the aurthor suggested using Chaeto Algae will greatly keep the other undesired algae growth under control , and it is easy to remove if it grows too big, and it states " The Chaeto will provide a safe area for little critters such as isopods and amphipods to multiply, thus adding a natural food source for your fish.", is that true, if so would you guys suggest of using it in the main tank? (Some say I can put it in the second chamber but then it wouldn't get any light at all then...

-I still haven't figure out how to replace the stock filter yet, as I have never tried anything else, If I just use any filter media bag, it wouldn't cover the chamber completely right? I mean things will still pass throught the filter and flow into the 2nd chamber correct?

-I heard that someone had SeaChem Matrix in their 2nd chamber, but to my understanding, isn't carbon not so good for salt water tank?

To be honest, I am still confused as there is simply too much information for me to abosrb all at once, and I need to jump start the tank and have it all set before end of May...meaning that I need to have all the corals and fish in there by then...bad idea eh?

Please please, for those who owns a BC, let me know all the clever things you have done to it to get it work nicely.

Please comment and help me on this if I am missing anything or if you guys have any suggestions...as I said, I am a total newbie on this....

I also posted some of my tank pictures, it is 24 hrs after the setup (next morning).

Side view of the tank

Another Side view

Front View

Front View-2

Left Side View

Crab Shell found...it wasn't there until I came back from work on DAY 1
and it acutally red back ! must have came of the LR.

I found this on an edge of the LR, it looks like little yellow fish eggs...sort of like capelin's egg...maybe snail egg? i am waiting for it to hatch =.="

Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Palster is on a distinguished road

A couple of thoughts for you. Definately ditch the Bio Balls. When you remove the Bio Balls you can disregard the fill lines on the side of the tank. Most people fill their Bio Cubes untill the water level in chamber 3 is at the 90 degree elbow where the return line goes into the back of the tank. If you do this then the tank will be almost completely quiet.

Also if you want to run Cheato in the back of the BC (most peope who do so put it in chamber 2) then you will need to scrape the black paint off the back of the tank so that you can mount a light on the back to provide the lighting needed by the Cheato. When I say scrape the paint off you only need to take off enough paint behind chamber 2 for the light. You don't want to scrape all of the paint off the back.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palster View Post
Also if you want to run Cheato in the back of the BC (most peope who do so put it in chamber 2) then you will need to scrape the black paint off the back of the tank so that you can mount a light on the back to provide the lighting needed by the Cheato. When I say scrape the paint off you only need to take off enough paint behind chamber 2 for the light. You don't want to scrape all of the paint off the back.
Here is the thing, from my setup, I want SR3 in the 2nd chamber along with some LR then filter media on top of the drip tray, seems like there is no more room for chaeto there, and I am not very sure how to mount the light as the tank is against the wall firmly, if I do mount light, I would need to keep the back hatch open at all times? or does the light go "inside" the tank, but it will take risk from getting wet then short circuit...I read that someone people did but no pictures at all so I don't know how ^^" But would I be able to put it in the tank like shuffle it under a rock or something and let it grow there? or the cuc is just gonna eat it all =.=?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:30 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

This is a great DIY fuge light for the BC29 but you would have to pull the tank away from the wall.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...&#entry1818210

There are also submersible fuge lights.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
This is a great DIY fuge light for the BC29 but you would have to pull the tank away from the wall.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...&#entry1818210

There are also submersible fuge lights.
Thanks for the link ! It's so detailed too!

Anyways, so I went to LFS today, and the guy suggested that there is no need to use protein skimmer, so I just bought some LR rubble and placed Chemi-pure on top of the rubble then closed up the drip tray on top.

I did add more water to get rid of the water fall noise, but then the chemipure is now soaked in water all the time...that will be no good right? or is it actually better? and he also said there is no need for purigen, chemipure will be enough...and I stayed around a little longer after that looking around, and realized that they were out of purigen anyway...but it is true that either one will be good enough?

Brown algae is starting to grow on the rocks, I hope it's not gonna over grow too much cause I only planned to put CUC in the tank next saturday...one week of time will probably get the tank real dirty...full of slime algae eh?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:11 AM

That link explains the light pretty well but in order to make that work you would have to move the tank away from the wall but only by a couple of inches. Here is another great link for you which shows a lot of the mods that people typically do to the Biocubes.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=180788
Old 05-03-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACJ View Post
Brown algae is starting to grow on the rocks, I hope it's not gonna over grow too much cause I only planned to put CUC in the tank next saturday...one week of time will probably get the tank real dirty...full of slime algae eh?
The brown algae that you are seeing is called Diatoms and is perfectly normal in a new tank. There are a few "Phases" that a new tank will go through and this is just one of them. My Biocube has been set up for just over a month using live rock from another tank and I am still experiencing a bit of a hair algae bloom right now. Most new tanks will also go through a hair algae phase as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 PM

wow... I just discovered something real amazing...good or bad I am not sure but...truely amazing.

It is now two days after I place the chemi-pure elite in the chamber two, the bottle says rinse lightly before putting in the tank, but i rinsed it a little more until i made sure the water that goes through the bag is no longer black(carbon)...and this morning I woke up, and I took a peak at the stick filter to see if there was anything i need to wash off. The water was clear as crystal for sure, but as soon as I took out the stock filter, i realized that it was pure black....and i mean black!! the floss on there was pure white when newly opened from bag...now its black, I took some time to rinse, but best I could do was to get it dark grey...no more than that...this sound normal at all? or maybe the chemi-pure media bag is broken(maybe?) I haven't checked, no time.

Also, after I rinsed the stock filter, when I walk bak to the tank, it's looking a little white, as if the sand was stirred a little, not very blurry, but it does look white, compared to 3 minutes ago, it was crystal clear then...

Anything I need to worry about?

Side note, there are air bubbles on the green algae...is that the actual oxgen created by the photosynthesis process?

Last edited by DACJ; 05-05-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 AM

Yay! I just did my first water test, day 6 , it was taken 1.5 hr after the floursent light went off, 30 min after the actinic light went off (actinic stays on an hour after flourscent light for me), the test result seems to be perfect,

PH 8.4
NH3/4 0 ppm
NO2 0 ppm
NO3 0 ppm

I am gonna do another test tomorrow 1 hour after the flourscent light.

According to the chart I have, I should also measure the Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium, Iron, Iodine, Phosphate, Silicate.....but when I asked my LFS for a test kit, he gave me " API salt water test master kit" and said that is all I need...does that mean I don't really need to worry about all that mentioned in the chart? like as long as I keep that 4 things under control, rest will be fine? or did he mean that at this point it doesn't matter, I just need to test it after I get the corals and fish?

BTW, the Diatom, or hair algae...I can't tell which is which, but anyways...brown-looking algae is starting to take over my precious white sand...it looked only a little before I left home for work, came home from work it still look okay, 1 hour after all the light went off, I looked again, it's like massive army just marched in the tank =.=" (maybe I just miss-looked when I came home) if I didn't miss-look, it's as it they were alive and all came out from their hide out in the night..... I am thinking maybe I will drop by the LFS on thursday to get my inverts instead of saturday, just incase if the diatom outgrows the tank.....

I've seen on other threads where some people's skimmer actually gets some real nasty stuff....would I be needing it for a 29g sized tank? LFS said water change bi-weekly will be good enough, a skimmer so small like CPR SR3 isn't gonna really do much in BC29...

Last edited by DACJ; 05-05-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM

O-Pee-Chee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACJ View Post
I've seen on other threads where some people's skimmer actually gets some real nasty stuff....would I be needing it for a 29g sized tank? LFS said water change bi-weekly will be good enough, a skimmer so small like CPR SR3 isn't gonna really do much in BC29...
Depends on your bioload. I just added the biocube skimmer to my 14 gallon BC and it's pulled some pretty skanky smelling stuff out. It certainly is not the best out there but it works for what I wanted without any modifications necessary.