Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Did you have a few spare seconds to snap some pics of the event Paul?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Hi Ron,

You need to seclude them in a smaller tank with some live rock and feed them little portions of mysis on a daily basis. They are restricted from eating during transit from the collectors so by the time they get to us they are pretty hungry. The trick is to get a bit of flow going so that the frozen mysis appear as if they are moving. You will start to see the mandarin try to hunt them down. If the flow is too much the mandarins can't keep up. So watch your flow. We seclude them so that they have all the time to pick at the mysis as they try to catch them. If there are other tankmates, they will invariably consumer all the mysis before the mandarins get to it.

We've had some success with training mandarins using this procedure; however we are trying to get some tank raised specimens that are already bred to eat frozen mysis. These are one of my favorite fish.

Thanks,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Any tips for training the Mandarins? Do you plan to maybe train some on frozen for sale in the shop?

Last edited by OceanicCorals-Ian-; 01-27-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Hey Ryan,

No, it was pretty busy from the get go and I didn't think of it. I'll get some pics at the Grand Opening for you if that works.

Thanks,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
Did you have a few spare seconds to snap some pics of the event Paul?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals View Post
Hey Ryan,

No, it was pretty busy from the get go and I didn't think of it. I'll get some pics at the Grand Opening for you if that works.

Thanks,

Paul
Good...good...cause you know I'll be a askin'...
Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 AM

JHC is on a distinguished road

Just an update.

My OC Bonsai is now sending up many purple vertical branches now that it has fully encrusted the plug!

The red planet I got during the sale has started to encrust the rubble it was glued to. It has a nice green base and i hope the polyps turn red soon. The frag was cut two days before i bought it and i believe it only arrived at oc a few days before it was cut. so it was a gamble buying it since it was so stressed. I would assume that is why the polyps don't have the red coloring.

Acan frag is expanding and sending out feeder tentacles at night. It's looking better than it did in the OC frag tank. These particular acans didn't look like they were doing all that well at OC.

Cali tort has started to grow and encrust the rubble it's attached to. It has blue tips and a green base. Hoping this will color up some more!

blue milli has colored up alot in my tank and is more blue!

Prostrata is extremely hair and really pink! It has encrusted 75% of the plug and is sending up vertical branches!

Quite happy with my OC frags!