Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 AM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road
Default is it just me??

is it just me??
it seems to me there has been a few more posts than usual where people are posting that they are looking for a specific type of fish for sale.
I am just wondering why this is becoming so popular of a post?
typically people here don't have a bunch of fish they are waiting to sell to that person that is looking for a fish. if they do, they post the fish they have and don't wait for someone to announce they want one.
this is not a snide comment.
I am quite curious as to why this is occuring more and more.
is it that stores ask too much money???
or that stores don't have the fish in stock???
that they feel fish from people's tanks are a safer bet???
are they expecting sponsors to contact them???
do they just not want to search the forums???
I just am trying to figure out why people aren't just going to the stores within their city and buying the fish they claim to be looking for.
thanks for the input
Neal
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Hard to say ...

Maybe people are becoming lazy, and would rather use the web than travel to a LFS ?
Maybe they would rather buy one from a fellow reefer than pay LFS prices ?
Maybe they can never find what they want at the LFS and aren't patient enough to check out the LFS shipments ?

Or, hopefully, they would rather buy a fish from a fellow reefer than buy another wild caught one ?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 AM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

I can't say I've noticed a difference. There has been an unusually high number of post from the Tinfoil Hat Brigade though...
Old 10-12-2012, 09:05 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandosh View Post
I can't say I've noticed a difference. There has been an unusually high number of post from the Tinfoil Hat Brigade though...
Are your dues up to date ?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandosh View Post
yup noticed that one too.

As to the OPs question, I've noticed it too, I cough it up to laziness and being cheap. That's just me though. I mean its fine to save money, but as you said not everyone has fish stockpiled for this specific reason. In fact I don't think there are many at all.

My answer, got to a lfs and support it.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM

btymens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
yup noticed that one too.

As to the OPs question, I've noticed it too, I cough it up to laziness and being cheap. That's just me though. I mean its fine to save money, but as you said not everyone has fish stockpiled for this specific reason. In fact I don't think there are many at all.

My answer, got to a lfs and support it.
Well seeing how this is most likely in response to my post yesterday for what I'm looking for it is not because I'm lazy or cheap. I go to the lfs every sat and I just don't like what I see there, so I thought that I'd might try and post. That's it plain and simple. Now everyone has a right to their opinion, however before you beak off just remember that there are 2 side to every story. Also to those guys who stockpile fish out of your basements to make a quick buck, maybe you should clean up your act.
Or is just me!?!?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:04 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I would rather buy from a local reefer. I think the fish are more stable and 'should' have a higher rate of success when I acclimate to my tank. There have been times when I was on the fence about re-homing a fish and to see an ad wanting that particular fish would be a bonus.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
I would rather buy from a local reefer. I think the fish are more stable and 'should' have a higher rate of success when I acclimate to my tank. There have been times when I was on the fence about re-homing a fish and to see an ad wanting that particular fish would be a bonus.
what he said /\

plus it seems like LFS in Edmonton always get the same generic fish in stock everytime. and when they do get something interesting, its always in the middle of the week when im at work.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i hate to say it but when it coes to livestock . most stores cater to beginnes ......advanced stuf costs money and if it doesnt sell right away they need to be able to keep it alive and hold it.

so an army of powder blues or rare anthias is less likely to arrive at the store than a bunch of yellow tangs or clowns.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

I am not pointing a finger at anyone in particular.
Nor, like I said orginally, was I trying to make it into a snide or accusatory comment.
It was more a question as to why people don't want to seemingly support their LFS.
For the comment about stockpiling fish in my basement I am certainly not doing it to make a quick buck (I have spent 10,000s of dollars and haven't sold a thing yet.)
anyone that knows me knows that what I am doing has been anything but quick.
nor have I posted having a single thing for sale on canreef in the process (and it has been a long freaking process.)
I did contact Btymens because as it turns out, I do have one of the fish he was looking for and was in fact holding it for him as per his request. clearly, I didn't mean it as an insult.
Being that I am getting into the business, this was a serious question because it concerns me(and it should every LFS) as to why a lot of members aren't seemingly wanting to support their LFS.
so thank you for the comments as to why it is being done.
that is what I am looking for, as should every LFS be looking for because it concerns them all.
thanks
Neal
and yes, I will becoming a vendor here within the next couple of weeks..so hopefully these posts dont' get removed as free advertising was not the reason for this post.

Last edited by howdy20012002; 10-12-2012 at 02:49 PM.