Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

in the video when the lights on the controller light up i assume this is when the pump is pumping. you can REALLY hear the pulses. would one of these in my livingroom be annoying? I didn't think these things were so loud you could hear each pulse?

I'm looking at one to center on the back wall of a 30x30x18 cube...

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-10-2008, 04:19 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
in the video when the lights on the controller light up i assume this is when the pump is pumping. you can REALLY hear the pulses. would one of these in my livingroom be annoying? I didn't think these things were so loud you could hear each pulse?

I'm looking at one to center on the back wall of a 30x30x18 cube...

Thanks,

Brett
in the first video the pulsing noise is very noticable because none of the other equipment is on. in the second video you hear it when the camera's RIGHT up to the powerhead. I don't hear the vortech unless I listen for it because of all the other equipment running and the sound of the water flow through the overflow box. It's been getting quieter with time too. If you have lots of super silent equipment (like bubbleking skimmer, reefflo pump, herbie overflow, etc etc) then you'll probably notice the vortech. Otherwise if you're running a mag for the sump, a euroreef or the likes protein skimmer, standpipe overflow, then you probably won't notice it.

yeah and no worries tony.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Sean, so a couple weeks in are you still happy with the unit?

I wa sin the store this morning and picked one up So far I do like it, but I will still need to compliment with a powerheads.. allthough not as many as I have now. A nother unit will be in the fututre works for me.. but the wallet is still smarting today.. for what's in the box the pricetag is up there

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 AM

yeah after this time no gripes yet. I like the amount of flow I get. Yeah it's a little pricey but worth it in the long run I think. Now I've gotta start saving up for some actual coral lol. Finals have hit me really hard financially this year, having to take some time off. My tank's going to fall behind schedule because of it. But yeah the pump was worth it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Cool. You do get a great deal more flow in the smaller tank though with the one unit. How do you find the noise? It's a litle bit louder than I had expected?

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 05-29-2008, 01:59 AM

ok I think I had a defective unit from the get go. The whirring noise has changed into a constant clacking noise. Soaking the prop unit in vinegar didn't fix it. I'm going to exchange it on the weekend hopefully if one's still in stock.

Now that i've had it for over a month I can say even though it needs an exchange I really like the unit. It's out of sight and produces a LOT of good flow. I run it on reef crest random full time full power.

edit:problem fixed lol. I realized I had it on the wrong glass thickness setting. I set it to 1/4" when I have 3/8" glass. duh! So it still whirrs but the clacking's gone.

Last edited by kwirky; 05-29-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Kwirky: Thanks for the great review and discussion on this unit. I am having a serious detritus problem which I blame on my aquascaping and poor flow.

How is the unit hangin in there?