Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
Isn't there a single cortech running on the tank in the back of the store?
that's the old model, the non-wireless/non-wavemaker unit. They don't make the MP40 any more and it's been replaced with the MP40W. Dennis and albert tried to put the wireless upgrade on it but it didn't work for some reason.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 AM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Damnit! Why did I have to watch your video! Now I want one.. or a couple!

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

That does look pretty incredible.

Can you post a pick of the actual unit PLS. cant get a good look in the vid
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by ElGuappo; 04-08-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:09 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I must be dense but I can't find the link to the video? I checked your other thread too and seemed to overlook it. Can you repost it in here?

Hmmm, see the one thing for me is you keep comparing these to just straight Tunzes and I keep comparing it to a Tunze wavebox. Cost wise the wavebox is more expensive, but a straight Tunze can at least be controlled by tank controllers as well as their own controllers, and is aimable. Although maybe the fact that the Vortech isn't aimable isn't a big deal, but to me I guess I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I can't just fine tune the direction.

I was somehow thinking I'd look into one of these Vortech's as a substitute for a wavebox (I just can't get over the "big black box in a tank corner" aesthetic of those .. as much as I love the effect they give) but still go with Tunzes on Wavysea's elsewhere in the tank. Although ... I dunno, I guess until I see said video I should keep an open mind!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:52 AM

victornguyen is on a distinguished road

Good Review Sean. I have 2 on my tank plus the Tunze wave box. The Vortechs are powerful and create havoc in my tank. I had to turn both of them down to 60% of their potential otherwise my corals would get banged up. If I could I would get one more to replace my wave box but no space to put one more with my overflows on both sides.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 AM

dreef is on a distinguished road
Default vid

Here it is Tony

here's a video of me playing with the pump while I was waiting for the salt to mix in the aquarium:
www.kwirky88.com/video/wavemaker.wmv
Old 04-08-2008, 05:16 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Thanks D, dunno why I couldn't just see it when I was looking for it.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Hmmm, see the one thing for me is you keep comparing these to just straight Tunzes and I keep comparing it to a Tunze wavebox.
... (I just can't get over the "big black box in a tank corner" aesthetic of those .. as much as I love the effect they give)
I compared them to tunze streams because for my own tank a wavebox is out of the question because of it's small size. It would take up like 15% of the tank. So for my own tank the choice was between the tunzes and the vortech.

As for running the tunzes on an AC wave controller you then lose the ability to throttle the pumps and other things. Not as many features as the tunze single controller or the multi controller.

And yeah I've seen videos of tunzes on a wavy sea but again it would be too large for my tank and would block probably 25% of the tank surface unfortunately. Hence the thread title "vortech in a smallish cube" If I had a larger tank, like if I were ever to set up another 120g, I would be debating between a multi-vortech system or a couple tunzes on wavyseas. or both if I had the cash
Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 AM

Sorry, I realize that my questions are I guess out of context for a small cube which is what you were going for with your review, it's just that you were a convenient outlet for me to pose MY questions about the product. Be patient, I have no life and I have no friends and now you are the ONLY person I know (who speaks to me anyhow) who has one of these, so you're now the "expert on all things Vortech" in my world.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I youtubed some vids last night to.. and I am starting to wonder if I would really need 2 units in a 90G one on the side might just be enough.. hmmmm....

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2