Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 AM

dare2dv8 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie's first 110g Reef

After 15 years of freshwater tanks of various sizes and occupants, I took the plunge to reefing when my bro in law gave me his system back in June of this year. I've been lurking around this site reading and learning while I tinkered with my tank...adding this and moving that. Still learning the marine speak like WTB, LFS, SPS, LPS...even the BS.

Anyway, I thought I'd post a couple pics of my tank and what I've done so far so you fine folks can critique, make suggestions, tell me what's looking good or bad - you know constructive criticism or hopefully even some encouragement.

Tank dimensions are 48in long, 18in wide and 31in tall.
Lighting is Metal Halide, Actinic, and LED's for the moon.
Under the hood we have a Coralifeskimmer 125, 18 watt UV filter both in a 30g sump.

You'll see in the pic I inherited a bleached Sebae anemone but I'm happy to report over the last week it's beginning to turn a minty green. Been feeding it an assortment from a seafood medley I picked up at the grocery store. Condy anemone was my addition and boy it's a little piggy when it comes time to feeding. First rookie mistake was listening to my wife say "but I like it" when looking at a giant cup coral at the LFS. Yup, a Purple Firefish, Kaudern's Cardinal, Yellow clown goby have all experienced the great circle of life. $100 kissed goodbye and man I liked that Goby...smallest fish in the tank but acted like he was the heir of pride rock.

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited by dare2dv8; 08-17-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

a cup coral killed your fish?? id say carpet anemone not cup coral:P

welcome to canreef!!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:52 AM

dare2dv8 is on a distinguished road

Yup, cup coral. You can see it on the pedestal looking rock centre right. It's open in the pics but it closes in a round ball leaving a small hole in the top. Fish swims in and bam closes with dinner being served.