Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road
Default Dry base rock

So I'm looking to get between 50 - 75lbs of dry base rock for my upcoming upgrade (whenever that happens), and wanted people's opinions on dry rock purchases.

I know BRS and Marco rocks ship to Canada, but after the shipping costs and such, it comes out the same (almost) as LR from my LFS. Might as well buy handpicked LR and let it dry out then.

So I've been looking for Canadian places to get dry LR from.

I've found two places, both in Ontario:
http://www.eco-reefer.com/
http://www.reefrocks.ca/Fiji%20Base%20Rock.html

So far reefrocks.ca sounds and looks pretty good, and has really cheap shipping (free after $200, $6.95 flat below that). Anybody with experiences?
Other places?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 AM

aoc230 is on a distinguished road

??? Eco was cheaper??? by 5 bucks but shipping was included in their price? Heres a few good reasons why id buy
1. its dry, you get more for your buck... why cause its dry, no water weight being added in, so they say to add less, i would say makes sense. plus no die off during shipping or your not paying to ship water..
2. no hitchhikers. your starting off fresh and potentially could actually cycle faster with dry... depending on LR

i personally would buy dry instead of paying for wet then drying it(that will cost you way more after calculating the water loss). if you wanna buy the wet then dry it post back id like to know how much water you paid for lol....
Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 AM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I get why dry is better. I'm more looking for particular experiences with the rock - ie were you happy with the shapes, textures, etc.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:00 AM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
So I'm looking to get between 50 - 75lbs of dry base rock for my upcoming upgrade (whenever that happens), and wanted people's opinions on dry rock purchases.

I know BRS and Marco rocks ship to Canada, but after the shipping costs and such, it comes out the same (almost) as LR from my LFS. Might as well buy handpicked LR and let it dry out then.

So I've been looking for Canadian places to get dry LR from.

I've found two places, both in Ontario:
http://www.eco-reefer.com/
http://www.reefrocks.ca/Fiji%20Base%20Rock.html

So far reefrocks.ca sounds and looks pretty good, and has really cheap shipping (free after $200, $6.95 flat below that). Anybody with experiences?
Other places?
I'm in a similar boat, I'm going to need rock eventually for my 75G build (going very slowly). I've done the dry rock thing before using Carib-Sea south seas lace rock. Worked pretty well, takes a bit (lot) of time to get the coralline though. Having said that I was seeding about 40lbs from 2lbs of live rock..!

The reefrocks.ca stuff looks the best from the pictures - is very tempting.. If you look at the pictures and text it's all the same as the MarcoRocks website. It certainly looks 100% better than the Carib-Sea stuff I have right now.
From the quick look I had, the price on reefrocks is much higher per lb than the MarcoRocks website, so I guess you're paying for the shipping one way or another..

I'd be really interested to know from anyone who's had it if it's as good as the pictures look.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:44 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

i got a bunch from brs and im very happy with what i got, i think it ended up being close to $4/lb though
Old 12-30-2011, 01:52 PM

ssdan is on a distinguished road

Looks like reefrocks is actually located at www.reefwater.net now. Bought from them a few times, they have lots of Bulk Reef Products however I do not think they carry rock anymore.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

Elias a local sponsor sells Marco rock you can check shipping prices with him his prices are very good.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM

RedCoralOnlineStore is on a distinguished road

We carry the Marco rock and it is truly incredible rock! Very porous and many nooks and crannies for all of those critters to populate!
We have seen 1000's of pounds of Marco rock and it has all been beautiful rock! The rocks fit together like a puzzle so you xan create very unique and interesting aquascapes.
And we ship!
Marco rock on sale right now for the rest of the week 10% off!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
Thanks, I get why dry is better. I'm more looking for particular experiences with the rock - ie were you happy with the shapes, textures, etc.

I'm still pretty wet behind the ears in SW, but I did half base and have live rock, I love the base rock, its super pourous and really nice to aquascape with, and 3 months in I have coraline algae growing on it, so it can become "live" pretty quick IME
Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I don't want to hijack but wanted to point out that the coraline is no indication that the rock is 'live'. I'd suspect dry rocks takes at least a year before being as good as true live rock but I'm only guessing.

My pvc return elbows have coraline on them 1 month in but they're certainly not live...

It's too bad you can't get the BRS dry fiji anymore. I thought mine looked a lot nicer than the other stuff available to us now.

Tags
fijireefrock.com