Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

That I will never do.....
Old 10-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
That I will never do.....
your loss
Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Actually I was looking for a fixture with a pair of 150 HQI,s and t-5
Old 12-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road

i currently have a 6bulb tek t5 fixture and thought about switching to LED, its just too expensive right now, if the prices came down i would do it, but then again i do have to replace the bulbs every 6-8 months on my current fixture.

would you guys just add an LED strip to the fixture and wait a few years until the LED technology gets better and more affordable?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
i currently have a 6bulb tek t5 fixture and thought about switching to LED, its just too expensive right now, if the prices came down i would do it, but then again i do have to replace the bulbs every 6-8 months on my current fixture.

would you guys just add an LED strip to the fixture and wait a few years until the LED technology gets better and more affordable?
It's almost at that point now, so you might not have long to wait. Really, it comes down to what you are wanting. If you want that POP! from the royal blue LEDs, or hate changing T5 bulbs, or want more oomph to your lighting... then maybe consider making the switch sooner than later. If you're concerned about cost, then wait it out a bit longer.

I had actually priced out a new T5 fixture for my tank (a nice ATI or Giesemann) and realized that once I bought the fixture and all the bulbs that it basically cost me the same as buying an LED fixture... but I'd never do that since I can make the darn thing! (I'm a product designer with a full machine shop at my disposal)

DIY LED fixtures have become brilliantly simple these days. If you are somewhat handy, I encourage you to look at MakersLED or LEDGroupbuy to see just how cheap you can build your own fixture. If you are super handy, I strongly encourage you to build you own! It's not too hard, it's very rewarding and you can customize it anyway you like!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:18 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Since going back to MH from T5HO, I am now able keep Acros alive and growing again. Other corals also colored up from brown (including zoas). I restocked with Acros and they've been doing great. But with the awesome sales on Kessils this Black Friday (basically 20-25% off at various places after stacking with additional discounts) I will be converting from dual 150W MH HQI to dual 360 Kessil A360N-E. Hope to see similar results in growth and color of the corals.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

I'm working on supplementing my 3 Mitras with 4 4' T5HO bulbs. Just to fill in the shady areas
Old 03-04-2016, 10:40 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

Those who went back to MH, did you stay with them?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguinesDream View Post
Those who went back to MH, did you stay with them?
I did, wouldn't leave again.

Tags
aqua digital, pukani