Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Piscez is on a distinguished road
Default Piscez 2nd go around fresh start 220Gal - no buckets no barrels please

Hello all, well its good to be back after a 5 year absence. Won't bore you all with details but basically I previously had a 120 Gal : http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62786 back in 2009, all done with Anthony's help but due to family issues I had to shut it down in May of 2010, the plan was to move it to my new home, but after losing all my fish at a fish sitters place, it kind of killed my spirit so I sold the complete tank to a fellow Canreefer. Back to present day... I have a co worker who also used to be in the saltwater game and we got chatting and we both decided to get nano's. So out I went and got a 24gal, I had been poking around the forum looking and Anthony noticed asking if I was coming back. When I told him I was getting a nano he humorously knew that wasn't going to cut it and asked what I would really like! I told him since it would be going in my dining room in place of the buffet I really wanted a large viewing pane so a 220gal 72"x30"x24" with emphasis on the 30" height and ideally on a stand that would be 40" high as I have 10 foot ceilings and would like to do a wainscot paneling all the way around the dining room with drop out panels covering the stand to give to a clean finished look. Well Anthony doesn't mess around, the same day I picked up my Nano he calls me to tell me he has a friend selling the exact setup, so I purchased this:

Even the stand was a close to perfect 39.5"!!!

So what a great start, I had a one other requirement if I was going to make this happen and this system fit the bill. I wanted a large sump as I wanted to section off a 50 gallon portion to use as my water change and ATO reservoir. Low and behold this system had a 125 gallon sump. Other supplied equipment was a 6 Ft T5 lighting with built in timer and moonlights, Euroreef RC-250 skimmer, Titanium 1000watt heater , tunze powerhead, Vortech MP40 wavemaker, plumbing etc, all the live rock and sand.

I had a custom home builder friend come over to see about the weight issue being this was going on the 2nd floor of my 3 level home. The wall behind the tank is a 3 level load baring one as well as the outside wall to the right of the tank and even better it is all over the garage with steel girders running underneath... perfect!

The next plan was to get my plumber pal over to run me a water line and a drain system, I decided buckets and barrels were not going to be part of my water change regime I've got say this was mean't to be everything just fell into place even the drain setup ran perfectly a turn of a ball valve to stop the flow into the sump and another to direct it into the drain from the dining room into the garage out the garage though the ceiling into the gutter down pipe!.... sweet. To add the 50 gal new water I just turn off one return pump turn the ball valve, open another ball valve which is connected to a 3rd return pump sitting in my reservoir and the job is done
The reservoir then once again becomes my ATO. I know there is a bit of a debate about using tap and Prime VS R/O water, but I just went with the easier route and trusted the advice I was given from a couple of seasoned reefers they have been using tap and Prime for over 4 years ( since the pre Olympics GVRD water treatment upgrade) with no issues so I'm good with that.

I will post up pics of my tap and drain system very soon stay tuned, thanks!