Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 PM

PFoster is on a distinguished road

+1

Basic coral husbandry must be 100% mastered first before you move on to keeping azoox corals.
If you cant keep sps well colored then dont try any azoox corals above and beyond suncorals, vendors, balanaphyllia etc (all the easy to keep corals they can be fed pellets or frozen)
Old 10-04-2013, 04:05 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default sponges

i've been keeping sponges for years.my blues have spread all over my tank,my yellow has been stable for 2 years & my purple has been spreading as well.the only problem i have is various orange sponges get eaten by my regal angel.i now have a large branching sponge that the regal is not touching.(also lots of cryptic sponges)
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
i've been keeping sponges for years.my blues have spread all over my tank,my yellow has been stable for 2 years & my purple has been spreading as well.the only problem i have is various orange sponges get eaten by my regal angel.i now have a large branching sponge that the regal is not touching.(also lots of cryptic sponges)
Pictures please?!?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

This one is awesome, but it is a photosynthetic sponge and under good light it become dark, almost dark gray/black.

I have it and it just started to produce lots of pipes, very nice!

It can burn though, if you press hard enough on it, it can sting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
I don't think those are available anywhere. They're probably protected locally, or they're just too large/delicate for collection and shipping. Or perhaps they're accepted as being currently impossible to maintain in captivity due to feeding requirements. Who knows... I'd suggest learning how to culture your own phytoplankton first and mastering regular coral keeping before moving up to difficult Azooxanthellate species.

However if you'd like to try your hand at keeping a small variation I could send you a handful of this one of these days.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:47 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

The blue haliclona is photosyntectic and it is very easy to keep. Just stay away from chemiclean for cyano as it can kill sponges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I would completely agree with this. Even the more common sponges that you do tend to find at your LFS from time to time are ridiculously difficult to keep long term. Blue sponges, orange sponge balls, etc, you see those all the time at LFS. Sadly they don't tend to last long in captivity.