Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 AM

CherylMcKay is on a distinguished road
Default Vertex Aquaristick IN-80 Question

I have a Vertex IN-80 that is skimming to the extreme. I have had it installed and running for about a month now. I did have to remove the sump to fix it and drill it but I was still running with a fluval filter.In 2 weeks I have probably changed out 40 Gallons of water in a 75 Gallon tank with a 30-35 gallon sump. It skims so hard the water in the sump has a layer of foam on it.... I would love some advice as it is driving me nuts. I don't think the water still has that amount of disolved proteins in it but I am unsure what I should be checking for or if this skimmer is just not the right one for my sump.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

check for:

water level
clog air intake
and chemical that drives skimmer crazy... eg.. 2 part epoxy.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 AM

The air tube is not plugged, I haven't put any additives in the tank... I have been curing the water by letting it sit off with an airstone for a few days.

the only thing I can really think is water level.... It is an insump skimmer and currently the water is 8-10 inches deep. The water level cannot get any lower then 6 inches. What would be the appropriate water level for this skimmer?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

[quote=CherylMcKay;617423... I have been curing the water by letting it sit off with an airstone for a few days.

[/QUOTE]

Wait, are you skimming while curing the rock? If so, thst might be why it's going nutso.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

What is the water level inside the skimmer? Maybe you have it set too high?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 PM

RedCoralOnlineStore is on a distinguished road

Does it help if you turn the adjustment tube down? The tube that controls the water level?
My vertex is extremely touchy but once set, it is reliable and efficient. Just 1 mm too far and it will foam over.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Which tube is the adjustment tube.... If I turn down the flow out it skims more. I couldn't see any fittings that allowed me to adjust the amount of water inside the skimmer.... it is all foamy. I could have put it together wrong... the instructions were sparse.

Last edited by CherylMcKay; 06-07-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Wait, are you skimming while curing the rock? If so, thst might be why it's going nutso.
No I am not curing rock with this skimmer. I am curing my water without using chemical additives... so I am not adding any water conditioner (I know that makes the skimmer foam like crazy too).
Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 AM

sully08 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylMcKay View Post
The air tube is not plugged, I haven't put any additives in the tank... I have been curing the water by letting it sit off with an airstone for a few days.

the only thing I can really think is water level.... It is an insump skimmer and currently the water is 8-10 inches deep. The water level cannot get any lower then 6 inches. What would be the appropriate water level for this skimmer?
I have a 280 and I run it in about 61/2" of water, I heard through another blog that they run better at the lower end of the water level scale
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The owners manual for that skimmer states the sump water level should be 6-8”, given that the IN-80 is the smallest skimmer this manual applies to I would aim for 6” to start. You can place something under the skimmer to lift it up if decreasing the sump water level isn’t possible.

HTH