Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-31-2020, 03:36 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default Everyone reaches a breaking point

A month ago I posted a picture in the Picture of the month contest for feeding time I was one of two people that posted. Since that picture won the picture of the month I have been ridiculed, demeaned and have even been roasted on a few FB and forum sites I am on. I even got some very nasty IM through FB And forums about my picture.

Now I know my tank is not the prettiest tank nor the cleanest tank to look at and I run only softies in my tank It is still my tank and I’m proud of it. It does hurt me a lot when I am demeaned publicly and privately but I am still here.

I have been the butt of many jokes about my tank but I choose to show everything not just the good side of the hobby I readily share Cyano outbreaks, algae outbreaks, dirty glass and bubble outbreaks because it Happens And the reality is everyone suffers from It time to time.

So I cannot fathom why people choose to attack me for the way my tank looks or that I post both good and bad shots of my tank. Yes I know I’m not in the same caliber of tanks but I’m very proud of my tank. I have had long time reefers and new reefers demean me taunt me and send nasty messages to me and for the most part I ignore it but everybody reaches their breaking point and mine was this message from a supposedly long time reefer on Another forum

“From IGgreen112

Why do you even bother putting pictures up about your aquarium. Your tank is sucky at the best of times. You guve us real salt water hobbyists a bad rap. Stop putting your shitty pictures up You embarrass us”
Old 07-31-2020, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Stay strong brother! What I find to be my breaking point is people who make animals suffer. You don't seem to be one of those people. While you may not have the tank of the month, you are a hobbiest like the rest of us. You share a passion for something unique and your fish seem happy and fed. Dont let the trolls get you down!

IGgreen112 should be ashamed of his grammar.

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 07-31-2020 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:01 AM
No Cookies

It’s not even the worst one I’ve gotten but something about it set me off into the deep dark hole of depression for a few days. I just had to let it out because being depressed does nobody any good and can lead to rash decisions.

Who knew this hobby could be so cut throat😎
Old 07-31-2020, 05:27 AM

Pazil is on a distinguished road

Don't even let them bother you. It is amazing to me the amount of courage people have behind a keyboard. I am more than confident that NONE of us can say we have a perfect reef system.

You don't keep your tank for other peoples enjoyment so don't worry about what they have to say... you will be helping yourself by not even reading those posts or msg's. Just delete, smile and move on!!

Cheers
Lawrence
Old 07-31-2020, 01:47 PM

Piscez is on a distinguished road

Cowards behinds Keys that's all they are
Old 07-31-2020, 08:16 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

Frankly I was surprised and disappointed by the comments re the POTM photo. I suppose they were meant to be clever but do people not think about the person behind the photo submission? I mean, would you say something that rude to someone’s face? I love Canreef and hope it can take a bit of constructive criticism, but I do sometimes feel this community has its little cliques and could be more welcoming and benefit from a sense of humour. After all, shouldn’t these POTM be a fun way to see aspects of all our tanks, and not just the pristine SPS wonders of a very select few? This is not for the cover of National Geographic after all. Little wonder that POTM doesn’t have more traffic.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:49 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just say those are very insecure people who try and find some sort of self worth through their hobbies, in this case, an aquarium. To do this, they tend to need to put other people down in order to feel like they are something more than what they think they are.

Anyone who really cares about reef tanks would never make these types of comments. I would try not to take it personal because whatever your aquarium looks like does not reflect who you are in any way (good or bad). All that really matters is that your animals are healthy.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:38 AM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Hi from Campbell River BC, you are passionate about your hobby like I am, the same goes for the rest of us here, people who make rude comments like that don't know the real meaning of being passionate about this hobby. This hobby is not all that you see in real life like on the internet where there are absolute pristine tanks that looks like they were photoshop or just put together for a photo shoot, they don't represent the real world where algae & missed maintenance, where hobbyist have families & other commitment that keeps us all busy. We enjoy our aquarium for what it is & others don't need to judge us. I see many hobbyist give up on this hobby because they are trying to create what they see on the internet but what they should be doing is keeping it simple, easy to maintain and enjoy and not to be threaten by people with rude comments who don't appreciate it. My aquariums are part of me, I been in the hobby since the 80s, they are not all prestine, they all need work here and there, I'm okay will helpful suggestion but don't critize my aquarium, so I understand what you are talking about. This is real life! You got my vote on your photo, I thought that was real cool. regards ken
Old 08-01-2020, 02:49 AM
Thinks he can get Mods fired

acepumping is on a distinguished road

who gives a s*** what others think.. that would just push me harder to prove them wrong... do what is your best, everybody learns from their mistakes... others should be entering if they cared that bad.. stay strong and enjoy the hobby.. this hobby is full of ups and downs..im sure we have all made mistakes in the hobby and thats how we learn.. if you got any questions, message me or pretty much anybody whos been around it for years..

to the guys who took valuable time to dedicate a message with bad comments, you guys IMO can beat it, we dont need that in the hobby..

better yet, lets see your tanks? i bet you not one of you will post a picture..
Old 08-01-2020, 03:56 AM
No Cookies

Thank you all for the words and support.

I early on decided that I would go against conventional thinking and post pictures of my tank whether it be in full bloom or after a partial tank crash to show the other side of the hobby not everything is rosy and perfect. I wanted new people to the hobby to understand the realities of the hobby. I also knew I would take flak but I also have received support throughout the years as well because I am not afraid to show the other of the hobby that so many are scared of.

For whatever reason my POTM set off the critics and I was really surprised at how vicious some of the posts were across several platforms.

I will keep charging on though I just had a moment of weakness a few days ago.

Again thank you all.