Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Baldy is on a distinguished road
Default Help identifying strange algae

Hello all,

Maybe im missing something in all my reading, but i am having a hard time identifying this type of algae. At first i thought it was red HA, but im starting to doubt that now.

Its really strange. It seems to only form in the morning on the sand and rock low in the tank. its deep red, almost maroon in color. Ive tried moving flow around to get at the areas more, but it doesnt seem to help anything. The really strange thing is, that after a couple hours in the morning, it starts to disappear. its mostly gone by the evening, aqnd doesnt start forming again until the next morning. This has been going on for a while now and its driving me crazy.

All parameters are in check as far as i can tell. last tests were 2 days ago: ph 7.8, alk 8, mag 1250, calc 410, temp 78, sg 1.025, nitrates 0, phos 0.01 on my hannah checker. I have a 75 gal tank with a 20g sump, using a tunze DOC 9006 skimmer, running carbon and GFO. All i have for tank inhabitants are 2 clowns, foxface, matted filefish, flame hawkfish, and solar fairy wrasse.

any help?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

It's a type of cyano and it is invading my tank at the moment as well. It doesn't like bright lights and it loves higher flow areas.
In my tank it is almost seasonal and "mostly" goes away by spring. Like any problem algae, nutrient control is the course of action to get rid of it

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM

jagermaier is on a distinguished road

It's not an algae but cyano is a bacteria, usually caused by high phosphate in your water. Do you use RODI water in your water changes?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM

I have been running gfo ever since i took biopellets off my system, and just started using chaeto in my sump and Its growing pretty darn quick as well. I have been debating trying prodibio, but ive done a lot of changes to the tank lately with new additions and stuff so im gonna give it a couple months before i pull the trigger on anything that big like that. Strangely enough, ive never seen a sign of nitrates yet since removing the biopellets. Im pretty adamant about 15% water changes every 2 weeks, and the bioload is pretty light, so maybe thats why.

Its good to know that im not the only one with this as well. maybe running longer photoperiods might be the answer?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM

i do use RODI water. and phos has always tested low. like under .05, another thing that has baffled me.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM

Maybe the chemistry of the water changed when you took your bio pellets off line as that is the purpose of running bio pellets to add bennificial bacteria. You could try using chemi clean to get rid of the cyano, it works well but you will still have to figure out the oot cause.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagermaier View Post
Maybe the chemistry of the water changed when you took your bio pellets off line as that is the purpose of running bio pellets to add bennificial bacteria. You could try using chemi clean to get rid of the cyano, it works well but you will still have to figure out the oot cause.
ChemiClean is specifically to deal with red slime bacteria. I always keep some on hand and use it a couple of times a year for outbreaks. It will sort you out fine,
Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default cyano

it might be nitrates as well,you seem to have a fair amount of aptasia,maybe uneaten food.your phosphates are good,are you using a hanna checker for your nitrates
Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM

fragit dan and jagermaier, is chemiclean fine for reef tanks? no harm to coral?

monocus, Ive had aiptasia problems right from the start. the LR i got was from a tear down of someone elses tank, so i got all the good and the bad with it. a matted filefish destroyed the problem last year around this time, but it came back. I just added the filefish on the 26th, so it wont be too long and he will have it under control (hopefully). Im using api kits for everything except phos (hannah checker), and mag (elos). nitrates show 0 and have for a very long time.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
fragit dan and jagermaier, is chemiclean fine for reef tanks? no harm to coral?

monocus, Ive had aiptasia problems right from the start. the LR i got was from a tear down of someone elses tank, so i got all the good and the bad with it. a matted filefish destroyed the problem last year around this time, but it came back. I just added the filefish on the 26th, so it wont be too long and he will have it under control (hopefully). Im using api kits for everything except phos (hannah checker), and mag (elos). nitrates show 0 and have for a very long time.
Chemi clean is perfectly fine for reefs. Just make sure you take your skimmer off line while using it and do a partial water change after. In other words...follow instructions carefully.