Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-14-2009, 05:38 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Try to go self employed in something you enjoy. I became self employed after being fired from Aquarium Illusions, I will never look back. I can't imagine working for anyone ever again.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Its awesome how many were automotive techs and want a new career. Sadly, same boat over here. Have been working in the automotive trade for the past 4 years but i am only a second year apprentice. I started in a small shop and than moved over to mazda and this is where reality kicked in. The past year was a huge choice for me, either go back to school or keep going to get my ticket. But the trade is a money hungry trade, where all that matters is you. I finally made my choice on an airbag job that i spent 20 hours on due to improper diag from a tech. So 3 months ago i quit and went back to school and am now on route for my bachlors of science (probably geology). I was also offered a job at ford part time and took it since the pay is awesome, its not much but enough to keep me alive and this hobby lol. My boss was actually bugging me today about staying around and going full time for my license which i probably will not get.

Its the best choice i ever made and i actually smile and am a happier person
Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Just find something you enjoy doing and then figure out how to make it into a career. Sometimes its not readily apparent what that is, but when the right career presents itself, you'll know.

I too started my working life in automotive mechanics. Started as an apprentice right out of high school, got my license, and worked in the trade for eight years full time. I never intended it to be my life long career though, but I had no idea what I else would really like to do. I had many interests, but back in the early 1980s the prospects for any of them to yield an income were dismal. I got involved with the local volunteer fire department and started taking courses, getting more interested and passionate about firefighting. A couple of the volunteers were also full time firefighters with Calgary and encouraged me to apply. I eventually did, got hired and have been loving what I do for a living for nearly 20 years now.

I'm glad I have my mechanical skills and background, but I can sympathize with you not wanting to be in that field for life. Good luck with your search.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:49 PM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road
Default Don't be afraid of less pay

The one thing that I think that should REALLY be noticed is that nobody that took a pay cut seems to regret it. I am in this category as well.
I once was a "rig-pig" and I just couldn't do it anymore (I was starting a family). So I went back to school and finally followed what I wanted to do, computing, rather than what paid well. I make less than half of what I used to, and I don't EVER regret it.
As I've gotten older the truth of doing what you love regardless of money is true. I don't get all that great of pay -- but it's enough. The big one for me is the "other" benefits that most people miss. I work 8-4 mon-fri every day. I know what my work schedule will be years ahead of time. (really -- years). I don't ever have to do overtime, work weekends, I get lots of sick time, and get to take vacation time rather than just take the pay and keep on working.

On the other hand -- you don't have to chance quickly. There is lots of options for getting education without going to school full time. My wife works in Post secondary distance education. You can get a degree, diploma, etc by one of the many universities. (Athabasca, TRU). Many provide enough tax deductions that it cost almost zero, or even a profit after taxes. Don't quit your job to follow your dream, plan it out.
Figure out what you "want" to do, figure out if you can live on what it pays, and what you need to get the job/career. Then do it.

I went from reat money with no life. To enough money and having a life/hobbies/family/vacations etc. As many others that posted here, I haven't regretted it for a second.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:25 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Try to go self employed in something you enjoy. I became self employed after being fired from Aquarium Illusions, I will never look back. I can't imagine working for anyone ever again.
WOW you got fired because you knew more then the crew in the store...
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to agree with what everyone else is saying about doing what you like over money...not any more

I took a $35K paycut last year to work on a project I thought was really cool rather than one that was very "typical" and something I had done before. In a normal year, I would say it was well worth it. But now this year my condo building is leaking and for my part of the repair I have a $30, 000 bill! Really could have used that money now!

I have changed careers many times although always in the "design" area.

Fine Art (painting)--Illustration--Graphic Design--Illustration--Animation--Interior Design--back to animation in January

I have found it easy to "attach" yourself to a professional in the field your interested in and then prove that you can be an asset. Its all about using your talents in a way someone will need them. Sometimes you have to convince a company or person that they can use you or even NEED you. That was the case with the interior design.

I love all design but I was very interested in interiors. So I emailed a guy from HGTV...over and over and over again. He finally said he needed to meet me cause I was so persistent. I showed him what I could do and what I can bring to his company from my past experiences. He was impressed and gave me a job for 3 months until he moved to LA. I will also be on his new show next year which is kind of cool. Get to go to SF all expenses paid for 3 months.

I try to do what I think I will enjoy but I also always make sure it pays better than what I was doing previously I learned my lesson once from taking a big paycut. I am also very motivated by money though

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 11-15-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:10 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

If you know what area you want to move to and it will require added education see if you can do some night school and or distance Ed. type classes. Even if you can only cut down the amount of time you have to be a full time student by doing this it may make it possible for you to make the change.
If you stili like to work on vehicles and like kids give education a thought. Money is decent and with a journeymens and an ed degree you would be a hot commodity .

Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Don't be afraid to get into something new. I'm 33 and one year into my university degree course. I'm taking it through Athabasca University part time and am very happy with their courses.

I hummed and hawed for four or five years, always too worried about the loss of income etc. until I realised that if I had just gotten off my butt in the first place, I'd be done by now. The other big point deciding point... at my age I still have at least 30 years left to work so going back to school for 4 isn't really that big a time commitment in the grand scheme of things.

Doing what you love is important, however I think the better advice would be to figure out what kind of lifestyle do you want and find a career that you will enjoy AND provide that lifestyle. I spent most of my younger years cowboying on big ranches and guiding outfits. Absolutely loved the work but it paid less than minimum wage. I couldn't afford new boots half the time let alone take my wife on a vacation. Found a job in-town that I hated but paid me enough, now I'm working towards something that I'll enjoy and pay me lots!

I think the pick what you love over money example is great if your trying to decide between enough or more than enough... but if poverty or stinking rich is one of the options.... the moneys gotta win!!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ugh...I hear you. I have been trying to figure out what to do with my life for the last 5 years at least. I still have no idea, so life continues to pass me by one day at a time, working one useless job after another.

The only thing I did enjoy was when I was working on the oil rigs. Good money, time off when you want it, and interesting work. I thought I had finally found something good there, but I got laid off this last March. Now I work the same job in the city making $50K a year less, and I can't afford to go to university. Le sigh.

Yep, I'm bitter.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:42 PM

impreza is on a distinguished road

At least you have a job! haha

I graduated in April with a degree in Geology and finding a job has been incredibly difficult. Being declined so many times has got to be the most discouraging feeling I have ever felt haha.
Luckily, I have a full-time job that I have been employed at for the last 6 years, so I have something to hold onto until I find a job in my industry. The bad part is that I absolutely HATE my current job, every morning I wake up thinking about how much I don't want to goto work...

I did what everyone told me to do and went straight to University after high school even though I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I started off with 2 years in Computer Science, did well, but couldn't see myself having a career in CompSci. So I switched to Engineering for a year, and also found that I didn't enjoy it. So then I switched to Geology during my FOURTH year and basically had to start over. It took me four years from that point to complete my Geology degree!! It's pretty embarrassing but I spent 7 years in University haha. At least I truly like Geology, now, the hard part is to just find a job... But who knows, maybe I will do geology for a few years and find something else... haha