Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 PM

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Default How to Kill Purple Clove Polyps DIE! DIE! DIE! :)

I am once again having an invasion of Purple Clove Polyps. If you don't keep them under control, they will completely take over everything your tank!! (Newbies, be forwarned!!!)

Under complete desperation, I have been applying Tailored Aquatics Aiptasia Destroyer. It seems to be working. Mind you, it has only been two days, but they don't seen to be surviving the treatment.

Has any one else ever tried this with any success?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I've been having the same battle. I coat them with a thick kalk paste and it kills them. They spread too fast and I think the only way to rid them is to coat all of them at the same time. But that would be detrimental to your tank. My SPS does grow over them though. What really sucks is the ones I have are brown. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I had lots, but they went away on their own. I don't think there is a trace of them left.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 AM

Norstar is on a distinguished road

"went away on their own" - I wish!! Mine never go away, and only come back stronger than ever.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 AM

Frenchie2 is on a distinguished road

I had them in my tank and one day when me sea hare died, I put a bag of carbon in the sump and the cloves mysteriously started to disappear. I went to J & L and asked Renee about that and she told me the carbon does that to blue/purple cloves. Give it a shot. Did not bother any of my other corals.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

What are your parameters? because mine seem to shrivel and disapear, or at least it's not spreading and not growing at all.

Invasion? after 6 months of having it in my tank, it has not grown one bit.

It did spwan and produced eggs a few times and I can see little polyps here and there on the liverock but they stay tiny and they don't even produce more polyp.

what's your secret? because I wish I had your problem. I want them to spread to a full rock but can't get them to grow.

What's the tric?

I wish I could tell my trick for it to shrivel and not spread..I just don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norstar View Post
I am once again having an invasion of Purple Clove Polyps. If you don't keep them under control, they will completely take over everything your tank!! (Newbies, be forwarned!!!)

Under complete desperation, I have been applying Tailored Aquatics Aiptasia Destroyer. It seems to be working. Mind you, it has only been two days, but they don't seen to be surviving the treatment.

Has any one else ever tried this with any success?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Ok that could be it! I do use carbon on regular basis and change every 2 to 3 weeks and I cannot grow clove polyp at all.

Must be related. Same here, the carbon does not bother any of my coral and everything grow like weeds, just not the clove polyp. Glove polyps as well shrink to nothing with time and disapear. I had no idea that carbon could cause that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie2 View Post
I had them in my tank and one day when me sea hare died, I put a bag of carbon in the sump and the cloves mysteriously started to disappear. I went to J & L and asked Renee about that and she told me the carbon does that to blue/purple cloves. Give it a shot. Did not bother any of my other corals.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

OK here is how to quickly and easily eradicate Purple Clove Polyps from your tank. Also it will eradicate Green Star Polyps, Anthelia, hydroids, and Xenia.

Other who have tested it have found it was harmless to all livestock (corals, mushrooms, fish, anemones, crabs, snails) in their tanks except it killed shrimp and some soft corals. In my tank various SPS, LPS, BTA's, mushrooms, snails and fish were not affected. I had no shrimp in the tank.

Before people complain about using chemicals in the tank I agree chemicals should be avoided, however in my case I had an Anthelia infestation that was refractory to all measures including local eradication, Sonic scrubber and anything else I tried despite zero phosphates and nitrates measured in the tank.

You can use AP fluke tabs. First I manually removed all the Xenia, Green Star Polyps and Anthelia that I could. Then I dissolved 1/2 a fluke tab in water and added it to my 120 gallon tank. Within a week all the Anthelia, GSP and Clove Polyps were gone and the hydroids (which had been a minor problem) disappeared as well. There were no signs at all of stress to the fish or corals. None of the pest species have come back except for the hydroids which have recurred in small numbers.

Before I did the 1/2 fluke tab treatment I first tried one one hundredth of a fluke tab (no effect) and then one tenth of a fluke tab (no effect). Others have reported that even a trace amount of a fluke tab (such as dipping a coral in fluke tab solution then returning the coral to the display tank without rinsing it off) would work. I didn't find that trace amounts of fluke tab worked.

I would recommend local eradication measures, kalk, one of the Aiptasia treatments if it works, or localized blackout to cover the polyps from the light before going with chemical warfare. But if nothing else works, the Fluke Tabs seem quite effective and safe.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge

Last edited by trilinearmipmap; 07-26-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 AM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Try a butterfly or copperband might eat them
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

Whats a fluke tab?