Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 PM

tlhood is on a distinguished road

We just had some reno's done in our bathrooms, which is where I get my water to run through the RODI, so I had about 3 weeks of no water change. Out of desperation, I grabbed a few gallons from Walmart. Now that the bathrooms are pretty much complete, I was finally able to hook up my RODI and decided to take the opportunity to do some major tank maintenance and overhaul.

What I have planned for the afternoon/evening:

1) Splitting my GINORMOUS anemone, which has taken to shading all the other coral in my tank
2) a few of my corals have gone downhill since the renos, so I will be doing some trimming/dipping/moving of them
3) changing the rockscape a bit to better suit the corals I have, to try to avoid having a setup where the nem can umbrella over the corals, and to create some more surface space for the zoas I will be picking up tomorrow
4) Rinsing some of the detritus off the rocks while I move them
5) a large H2O change

Fingers crossed nothing dies.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:16 PM

Default update

New equipment

I am super excited to get my new skimmer! I have been using the stock RSM 130D skimmer, and it is loud as all hell, and I find it very finicky. I placed an order at concepts for a Tunze (the cutest skimmer you will ever see!) and should hopefully get it in the next week or so.

Livestock

Lost one of my zoas =[ of course it was the most expensive, and due to unfortunate events caused partially by me, and partially by a really annoying hermit crab, it got beat up and exploded, and died. The rest of the new zoas I got are doing amazing, though!

My two halves of my nem are healing, slowly though. I had to clean out their containers (which they haven't moved out of) since their bodies were blocking some flow to the bottom, resulting in crud buildup. I did put some slits in the sides of the containers to hopefully avoid that issue reoccurring. The cuts have healed, and it looks like the discs are rounding out and the mouths are healing up too. At this rate, they should hopefully be good in the next couple weeks.

Commendations to Mr. Cerith, my invincible dwarf cerith snail! I found him alive this morning on my glass, despite thinking he was dead for over 2 weeks. He has lived through stranding himself in a bunch of accumulated salt on the lid slider bar things for 2 days, he has survived being sucked up by tubes into water change buckets, and being stuck in the crud under my nems in their containers. yay!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 PM

jhj0112 is on a distinguished road

Very nice!! Did you get 9001 or 9002??? I'm also looking into upgrading the skimmer on my RSM 130 as well.. can you post you tank pictures??
Old 09-16-2014, 04:45 PM

I believe I ordered the 9001, from my reading the 9002 is out of production and has been replaced by the 9001.

The 9001 is smaller, and has a square collection cup so you don't need to go buy a different one from intank. You can also move the magnet so you don't HAVE to have a media basket to connect it to.

I will post some tank pictures shortly.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:52 PM

yeah! I was looking at 9001 last weekend in the LFS and its cup is bigger than 9002..

Can you let me know how you install 9001 without the media basket?
I'm now leaning toward getting a new 9001..
Old 10-04-2014, 08:44 PM

Default New skimmer!

I am super excited for my new skimmer!! I've been using the stock skimmer for the RSM 130D and it just isn't cutting it, and it is super loud.

I ordered (and received today!) my new Tunze 9001. Literally the smallest skimmer ever.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:26 PM

very nice!! I also got 9001 for my RSM 130.. I also got the media basket. so far I'm very happy with it.. how do you put your 9001 in your tank?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 PM

I epoxied the magnet to the side and have it connected through the back glass. I didn't put the surface skimmer on but I'm thinking I might. I have the skimmer set back farther than the glass slates that the stock skimmer slid in to. I love how quiet the skimmer is!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM

I don't mean to ruin your tank journal but have you ever had heat problem on your RSM 130? Ever since I upgraded mine, I'm fighting with high temp. ( 84F-86F). Maybe it is my stock lighting..-.- how do you like your LEDs??
Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj0112 View Post
I don't mean to ruin your tank journal but have you ever had heat problem on your RSM 130? Ever since I upgraded mine, I'm fighting with high temp. ( 84F-86F). Maybe it is my stock lighting..-.- how do you like your LEDs??
Not a problem. I wasnt having any heat issues with the stock lighting, however i did have heat issues during the summer. Didnt help the room the tank is in has 6 windows which are east and south facing. I had to foil 3 of them and leave a small fan blowing on the back filter area. Now that the heat is over there are no temp issues. I like my leds and the customization they offer. I kept the rsm fans and all seems well.