Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 01-09-2016, 04:37 AM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneP View Post
Thanks Ian. So just to clarify, you are using the smaller hole for the feed line to the ca reactor. It seems like it would be easier to use the larger powerhead outlet for the reactor line because I already have the fitting for it but I am guessing then there would be too much flow and pressure? Good idea about using the valves to regulate the flow. Are you just using regular plumbing glue? Thanks for your help. I wasn't thinking of valves so that answers my question about regulating the flow. Wish me luck as this has been never ending to setting up this reactor. Everything seems to have gone wrong. Thanks again.
Yep. Smaller hole (ones supposed to be for air intake) for the feed line. I just use a regular plumbing glue for PVC pipe. The powerhead outlet would be too much for a feed line. I was always worried that the feed line would come off, but so far so good. if I have to do it all again, I would probably use a Heat Shrinkable Sleeve in addition for extra measure.

I use the valve on the powerhead outlet end to control the actual flow to the feed line, and valve on the feed line to tweak actual flow (drip rate or ml/min). Having two valves make things easier.

For my specific system, I am running Co2 at 35 bubble/min. Flow rate at 50 ml/min. I have a Vertex Rx-6D. My system is ~150gallons. Medium stock with mostly SPSs. My water always runs stable at 125ppm / 7dkH.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:57 AM

Correction: I used effluent flow control that comes with Rx-c 6d to control drip rate. And the valve on the feed line to fine tune water going into the calcium reactor. Its been awhile since I had to touch my calcium reactor.

PH 6.5 CaribSea ARM Coarse media.

Hopefully this help.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:53 PM

LeanneP is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Just wondering how I figure out how much flow to put into the reactor? If I am only having the drip rate at say 35 per min like you are, are you only adding that much to the reactor? If you add more, where does the excess water go?
Old 01-10-2016, 02:33 AM

I am no expert by any means.
When I set mine up with a maxi jet 1200, I started out with a slow flow. You don't really need a lot of flow to feed a calcium reactor. If you want to maintain your effluent at 35ml/min, your source water should be able to feed atleast that much. If not, just open up the valve more on your maxi jet's feed line; or close the valve on the output end. On mine, I have enough feed water to go up to 120mL/min. But I am using effluent flow valve to restrict to 50ml/min. I think too much source water will cause high pressure to a calcium reactor unit.

You want to start slow. Get your effluent flow stable before turn on the Co2.
It is actually pretty easy once you start hooking and running it.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:05 AM

LeanneP is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try Wed. when I have some time to play around with it.