Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM

imisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
By the way, very nice system. Glad to see you went with an x/y gantry. What firmware are you running? Marlin or something else?
We are running Marlin on the machine, its about as good as it gets right now without writing your own. The machine is fully open source so we picked the best of the firmware, electronics and matched it to our hardware.

What machine are you running? I always ask because its awesome to know 3D printing is spreading in Vancouver. 2 years ago there was 3 guys I knew that was into this stuff. and now we are at about 40+ and growing.

There is a 3D printer meet up every 2nd week at boston pizza beside the langley colossus movie theater. Tons of people usually show up to just chat about stuff. Its like a sw meet but for 3D printers, feel free to contact me for more info.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisky View Post
We are running Marlin on the machine, its about as good as it gets right now without writing your own. The machine is fully open source so we picked the best of the firmware, electronics and matched it to our hardware.

What machine are you running? I always ask because its awesome to know 3D printing is spreading in Vancouver. 2 years ago there was 3 guys I knew that was into this stuff. and now we are at about 40+ and growing.

There is a 3D printer meet up every 2nd week at boston pizza beside the langley colossus movie theater. Tons of people usually show up to just chat about stuff. Its like a sw meet but for 3D printers, feel free to contact me for more info.
At home I run an ultimaker. I've got the thing nice and dialed in and have been consistently running 20 um prints. I've only had this ine at home for a few months. I've been using 3D printers for about 7 years in some way or form. At the office I use Objets. Man, I want one of those for the house.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:45 PM

imisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
At home I run an ultimaker. I've got the thing nice and dialed in and have been consistently running 20 um prints. I've only had this ine at home for a few months. I've been using 3D printers for about 7 years in some way or form. At the office I use Objets. Man, I want one of those for the house.
thats nice, you are the first person i know locally to have an ultimaker. When you said "green box" I thought it was a makerbot that you had stained. Ive worked with stratasys machines. they are nice but man are they expensive.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Ya I think I'm one of the few on the west coast that has one. I'm very impressed with it. They're very nice one you figure out the hiccups. Very few hobby level printers can match the output of the ultimaker, let alone get 20 um prints. I had a reprap for a while but gave up on it.

I'm curious to see how the Form1 turns out. It would make a nice SLA for the house
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

If your like me and had no idea what a 3D printer was please watch this video to have your mind blown: Video.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

I read on BoingBoing.net last week that a bunch of 3D printing patents are supposed to be entering the public domain next year, soon after that we can expect a huge number of new makes and models. 3D printing will be mainstream. Time to buy stock in the companies that make the mediums!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:14 PM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road

I can't wait till I can purchase a desktop 3d printer for under $500. Yes I know they are available now but somewhere arounf the $2k mark? I would love to be able to print circuits on it too... man that would be awesome!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:39 PM

If you're handy, there are a number of kits in the $500 range.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road

I have so little free time with the reef tank as it is... I'll just wait till I can buy an HP or canon 3D printer : )
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

That is scary. I wonder how complex of an item it could make. Scary times, when people can print their own guns etc..