Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 11-06-2008, 05:12 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

I was sitting on the couch being quite pleased with myself(as usual). When all of a sudden I hear CRACK...glance at the tank and see water flowing at a high rate from the tank. I ran down downstairs (in a about 2 leaps), grabbed a rubber main container and rammed it under the stand. Grabbed every towel out of the bathroom and threw them on the floor. I figure I got about half of the water in the bucket and the other half on the floor. Thankfully none of the water made it to the tv and all those cables. I got the floor all cleaned up and it looks like the laminate will be ok. I figure what went wrong was crappy thin glass.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Yeah where did it break and how? It was looking very nice... I say you got time to rebuild Rebuild Rebuild Rebuild
Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap View Post
I was sitting on the couch being quite pleased with myself(as usual). When all of a sudden I hear CRACK...glance at the tank and see water flowing at a high rate from the tank. I ran down downstairs (in a about 2 leaps), grabbed a rubber main container and rammed it under the stand. Grabbed every towel out of the bathroom and threw them on the floor. I figure I got about half of the water in the bucket and the other half on the floor. Thankfully none of the water made it to the tv and all those cables. I got the floor all cleaned up and it looks like the laminate will be ok. I figure what went wrong was crappy thin glass.
Good thing you were home... yeah the glass is thin. Did it source from and edge or mid pane? Rebuild Rebuild
Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 AM

bottom pain cracked from one end to the other...how, well me looking at it. Guess I looked at it the wrong way. The pump was running and I noticed the tank was vibrating a little. But that should have never made it crack. Crappy thin glass
Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 AM

Ok... let me tell you what you're going to do. REBUILD.. and then put another piece of wood in the bottom of the stand followed by the Styrofoam = Golden = You Second Place Winner ahah

Is there rules for this kinda stuff? Oh wait there is... "Rule 64: If your tank should break within the first week of being filled because you did not put wood in the bottom of the stand you MUST REBUILD"
Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 AM

Im thinking of rebuilding....however I dont think I can trust it again in my living room.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
Ok... let me tell you what you're going to do. REBUILD.. and then put another piece of wood in the bottom of the stand followed by the Styrofoam = Golden = You Second Place Winner ahah

Is there rules for this kinda stuff?
Yah you see. I thought of styrofoam.....then I didnt. I only have a 1 inch lip around the base. I really dont want to rebuild the stand. I think the styrofoam will sit higher than that. I CAN NOT clean water off the floor again....

I think the rule is....no water nov 15...you done....dont think its gonna happen
Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Yah you see. I thought of styrofoam.....then I didnt. I only have a 1 inch lip around the base. I really dont want to rebuild the stand. I think the styrofoam will sit higher than that. I CAN NOT clean water off the floor again....
I think the pink stuff is only like 1/2 inch and I just wrap the edge with black duct tape. You don't have to rebuild the stand. Just put a 1/2 piece of plywood and some Styrofoam in the bottom and if it pokes out just do the tape thing.

So take the bottom pain out of the tank and find a scrap piece a little thicker for the new base
Old 11-06-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I think the rule is....no water nov 15...you done....dont think its gonna happen
That is 9 days away... not to mention 2 Saturdays.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post

So take the bottom pain out of the tank and find a scrap piece a little thicker for the new base

I got somebody on it