Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-18-2014, 05:03 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

For alk, the accuracy of the device keeps me away (+/- 5% of the reading between 4.2 to 14). I keep my alk around 8 so that translates to an inaccuracy of up to +/- 0.4dkh. For a $60 machine, that's unacceptable to me.

Don't have any experience with Ca.

For PO4, I don't love it but I can't hate it either because of all the "guess the shade of green" test, hanna atleast get it "right" to some extend and I don't have to play the shades of green game.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 AM

Drfu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
I have all three and the phosphate is by far the worst of the them. Results have huge variations when performed back to back; and even when performed side by side with another Hanna checker. Hard to trust the results. The ULR phosphorous checker is a better option even though you have to convert to phosphate and change the units of measure.

The Alk and Cal both work great for me. They are in the same ballpark as results from chemical kits like the RSM series. Cal is a more involved test but once you get it down it's not really a big deal.
I have all three, i was fed up with color kits, to much judgment involved.

I have the ulr phosphorus, its the easiest of the three and i get the same results each time so i highly recommend it. Ask for alk/Ca i dont like the tips they come with to suck up the reagent, it seems to me you get a different size of air bubble each time this making the results a bit different each time. If you don't use the tips you are using more reagent and the results are different.

The Ca does have one extra step involved in it but compared to the API i used before its nothing like drop, shake, count, drop, shake, count.......

Does anyone have any advice on these tips/syringes?

Also i want to check my PH swing, i have never used a ph meter! How are they? Anyone recommend a good one, Hanna or something else?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:48 AM

rburns24 is on a distinguished road

That plastic tip that comes with the Alk kit is garbage, period. An insulin syringe is the way to go.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburns24 View Post
That plastic tip that comes with the Alk kit is garbage, period. An insulin syringe is the way to go.
So my question is can you use the syringe without the tip and just pull 1ml or does that throw off the results by using too much reagent?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:05 AM

rburns24 is on a distinguished road

Discard the tip and the syringe that comes with it and just use an insulin syringe, which you can get at Shopper's Drug Mart. That way, you can measure exactly 1 ml. of reagent. It's very accurate. The other thing you can do is use a 10 ml. syringe with a point on it for your water sample. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Last edited by rburns24; 03-21-2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-21-2014, 04:49 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drfu View Post
I have all three, i was fed up with color kits, to much judgment involved.

I have the ulr phosphorus, its the easiest of the three and i get the same results each time so i highly recommend it. Ask for alk/Ca i dont like the tips they come with to suck up the reagent, it seems to me you get a different size of air bubble each time this making the results a bit different each time. If you don't use the tips you are using more reagent and the results are different.

The Ca does have one extra step involved in it but compared to the API i used before its nothing like drop, shake, count, drop, shake, count.......

Does anyone have any advice on these tips/syringes?

Also i want to check my PH swing, i have never used a ph meter! How are they? Anyone recommend a good one, Hanna or something else?
Why do you think that you use more than 1ml reagent if you don't use the tip?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
I was wondering the same thing Jess, Huh! did I miss something
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

My guess is that the reagent is caustic or would potentially degrade the syringe some how and that the plastic tip is made from a different material that can withstand it. I use the tip (that's what she said!) and I'm not very worried about getting too much reagent etc.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
I assume that without the tip you dont get an air poocket like you do with the tip thus you are using more reagent and throwing off the results. I have done Alk tests on the same water sample doing both with & without and i got different results. If i remember correctly my Alk with the tip was around 124 & with the tip it was 214.

I could try again just to see and use my crappy API as a comparison to see?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

And what about the Hanna nitrate device?

I am using Salifert nitrite test which is pretty coarse. Is the Hanna nitrate tester a reliable substitute?