Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 12-05-2009, 01:22 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road
Default what camera should i get?

well since the Christmas season is coming up ive been looking at a few new cameras and im trying to choose one for myself.
i've been using a point and shoot for a few years now and i am quite comfortable with it, but i am ready to upgrade. i have never used a SLR.
my budget isn't huge, but isnt tiny either.

so far im really liking the look of the:
-canon powershot G11
-nikon d3000

and thats it so far.
so please, advice on the cameras i named, or better yet advice on a even better camera in the same price range.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:52 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

Not sure what your budget is exactly but I have a d80 and love it except that my camera is smarter than I am

Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

I have a D80 and it rocks, going to a D300 this year.

Any Nikon SLR and you won't be sorry.

Ken

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 AM
bvlester

Do your resurch this web site compars cameras.
have a look and see.
I sugest you get the best camera that you can aford with the features that you think you will use the most. Remember most cameras only come with a stock len you will have to buy macro and telephoto lens along with filter lens. I had found a site not long ago that did comparisomes side by side and I mean everything including the # of shutter action you should exspect. on all types of camers and lens I could not find it tonight but I will look again It my have been in a magizine.

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/dig...mparisons.html
http://www.best-digital-slr-cameras....slr_camera.htm
Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 12-05-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add link for got about it.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:08 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Definitely check out www.dpreview.com if you haven't already.
I have the Nikon D90 and its been great for us.

Buy the best lenses you can afford!!

Last edited by muck; 12-05-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

I have the Canon G9 and the Canon T1i and both are great cameras. The T1i is a fantastic camera it is just a little bulky for travelling. The Canon G9 is great for holidays and family get togethers.

Tom R
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM

vessey is on a distinguished road

I would suggest buying a cheap dslr body (no kit lenses) and a good lens or 2. Most people will never use the features that a mid to high end dslr have to offer and would be better off saving the money and buying good lenses. Canon and Nikon are both great and you can't go wrong with either of them.

The G11 is also a good option it has alot of the features a dlsr has but has the built in lens. It is great if you want something more advanced but don't want to spend crazy amounts on lenses. I also find I don't take my dslr's on vacations anymore, there size just got annoying after awhile.

Don't be affraid to save a bit and buy a previous model either most of the time people won't notice an extra MP or better noise reduction in higher ISO that the new cameras are offering.

Like others have suggested reading reviews is great, you might also want to check out The Photo Forum lots of information on there.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:32 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post
well since the Christmas season is coming up ive been looking at a few new cameras and im trying to choose one for myself.
i've been using a point and shoot for a few years now and i am quite comfortable with it, but i am ready to upgrade. i have never used a SLR.
my budget isn't huge, but isnt tiny either.

so far im really liking the look of the:
-canon powershot G11
-nikon d3000

and thats it so far.
so please, advice on the cameras i named, or better yet advice on a even better camera in the same price range.
the cannon G11 is not a slr. there are several deals on some of cannons entry level DSLRs right now. If you let us know what your budgit is maybe we could make some recomendations.. it is hard to recomend anything if we don't know what you are looking at spending. for example I have the Cannon rebel XSI and it came with a 18-55 IS lense, a 75-300 lense and a portable Selphy printer for about 900 at costco. the camera itself is awsome, auto mode takes fantastic pictures and I am slowly learning how to use the other features.

now costco also has the little brother to this one (cannon XS) which is 10Mp instead of 12, and comes with two lense and a carring bag for 739.00.

if you want to start out with just the camer and one lense then you can get the XS with the 18-55 lense at futureshop for 549. this is the lense I use 98% of the time. the 75-300 doesent have image stabalization so I have to use it on my tripod. Starting out with just the one lense may be good also as you can decide what you need and purchase it later.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:55 AM

wirehead is on a distinguished road
Smile

I am going to really throw a curve at you. The Pentax K20D and the new K7 are excellent cameras with tons of innovative features for a fantastic price. I must agree witht the one post about the "kit" lenses, not always the best choice. I have been using a K10D for 2 years now and love it. If you want to check out some user pics go to www.pentaxphotogallery.com My shots are under "artist" Kevin Demers

If i can answer any questions, just let me know
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
I am going to really throw a curve at you. The Pentax K20D and the new K7 are excellent cameras with tons of innovative features for a fantastic price. I must agree witht the one post about the "kit" lenses, not always the best choice. I have been using a K10D for 2 years now and love it. If you want to check out some user pics go to www.pentaxphotogallery.com My shots are under "artist" Kevin Demers

If i can answer any questions, just let me know
wow, those are some great shots indeed. is the pentax K7 an SLR?
did you edit those photos at all?
do you have any aquarium pics from this camera?