Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 08-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road
Default Apex controller

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting an apex controller in the future and looked at the manual online and was wondering about the installation to a router.

I have my system in my basement but my PC and router are upstairs on the second floor of my house. Is there a way to have the apex controller plug into something to then pick up the wireless network in my house?

Palmer
Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Yes, you can use a wireless game port apparently. Do you have the real manual or the unofficial manual? The latter goes into a bit more detail...

http://reeftech.webs.com/
Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM

I think I was looking at the real manual online. I will look further into it when I purchase but I was just hoping I didnt have to have a PC and router in the basement because if that was the case I probably wouldnt get it.

Thanks for the info that is what I was hoping to hear.

Palmer
Old 08-27-2011, 05:24 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

You can probably safely ignore the manual from Neptune and use the Un-Official guide instead (although it wouldn't hurt to read both!). It's exteremely comprehensive and helps you through various setup options.

Personally, I've run a network cable to my basement then to my aquarium. That way I didn't have to mess around with the wireless configuration. Also, when upgrading firmware, etc, it's best that you hardwire it.

My network cable is a light beige colour so I've run it around the room against the floorboards and it blends in with the carpet.

Never had any real issues yet doing it this way.

Good luck! The hardest part is setting up port forwarding on your router and setting up DynDns.com so you can access it from outside of you home.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Yeah you could run a cable from 2nd floor down to basement through something like a cold air return (that is probably continuous all the way down). Reduces effort to run it and holes to be made. But you dont need the computer or router nearby, no.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatkins View Post

Good luck! The hardest part is setting up port forwarding on your router and setting up DynDns.com so you can access it from outside of you home.
I just set port forwarding for http, then connect to the IP of my router. No DynDNS required. My IP stays pretty static, so if you have one that changes a lot, then it might be something to look at?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I just set port forwarding for http, then connect to the IP of my router. No DynDNS required. My IP stays pretty static, so if you have one that changes a lot, then it might be something to look at?
Does not compute Does not compute This networking stuff is like a different language to me.

But it does sound like I have a couple of options to consider once I decide to take the plunge.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Cugio

Palmer, I could give you a hand with networking it.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 AM

Thanks Donny! I am looking for this to be a Christmas present to me so I will definitly contact you when I get it.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:42 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Ive got one and have it hooked up wirelessly to my PC and the net. Its not that hard if you read through the "unofficial" guide mentioned earlier. And if you get stuck there is lots of help here and also on RC in the Neptune forum. Thats where the real experts live.