Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Obviously the wheels are turning but I wouldn't be so quick to install a float switch in the skimmer lid. That thing will get so plugged with crap that I would bet money it wouldn't work when needed.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

I had the same dilemna a few weeks ago. Neptune or RK?

I chose Apex (NS) simply for the iphone app. It was a little bit strange to program. I'm used to more basic controllers from back in my reptile keeping days (herpstat from Spider Electronics for example) but it wasn't impossible. What made it impossible was finding out my router is not working. After getting frustrated and walking away half-way through programming the apex and coming back to it with a fresh mind and still not being able to figure out why I was continously losing connection I finally figured it out. Stupid router... I'm still mad at it for that BS. My new router works much better.

However I have taken automation, programming and control courses for my career so it may have come more easily to me than to others.

Whatever you do, don't program from the display. It will take you forever. If you're not going to be using the internet and email/warning capabilities of the Apex then stick with the RK. Simpler is better in this case.

Just my 2cents...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 PM

kole is on a distinguished road

I have purchased the Apex with the temp and PH probe. I have the wireless adapter on its way here. I will be using the PH probe to shut down the kalk dosing if PH goes to high. Also some temperature programming like turn off heater and lights if temperature gets too high.Hopefully sending emails with alerts. What other safeguards do you have program in yours? I would like to be able shut down the return pump if the water level gets too low.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM

RyanJ is on a distinguished road

Have a spair heater hooked up set 2 degrees lower then the apex just incase it switches off. And have your heaters set no more then 84 so if it switches on all the time it will not boil your water. And after you have it all setup the way you like it make a backup just in case. There are a few tricks, to check it from anywhere with your iPhone you have to dmz the ip of the apex. And forward the port then you can view it from anywhere! Aslong as you have your ip address