Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Krakens Reef

Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Sure they eat acans but you can move those to the sump . They only eat aptisia if you starve the shrimp. comparing that slug to the peppermint shrimp is like comparing a Jar Jar binks to an Empire Walker. Like a skate board to a Mercedes. Here is my tank http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=101746
I have no wrasses or anything that would eat the slug
If you do a search on other forums you will find that my bad luck is shared by many other people that tried them.
Why would you move your acans to the sump? Just so you can have a peppermint shrimp? That makes no sense. Im not exactly sure where you are going with your star wars comparison, but I think if you do some more research you will find quite the opposite.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hlight=berghia

Everybody here says the same thing
Old 06-14-2014, 04:40 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default berghia

first of all berghia take time to do their job.if your looking for instant success-forget it.in this hobby you have to have patience.for a 50 gal tank you need 6-8 berghia,and you might see a start of the disappearance at 3 months.the good thing about berghia is they eat all the cells of aptasia without leaving anything behind to start new colonies of aptasia.also berghia only eat aptasia unlike other natural control methods.as for fish eating them;i don't think so.nudibranches have a foul taste that fish don't like.i've seen my lunar wrasse try to eat a berghia and immediately spit it out.as for not seeing them;they are nocturnal and can get "sunburnt" under lighting.another mistake people make is spreading the berghia all over the tank.i place my berghia in a shot glass together just before lights out and let them crawl out on their own as a group.they need to find each other in order to reproduce,and it's the babies that really are the aptasia destroyers.they also get into every crevasse,unlike any other control.there is also a myth about currents, flow,and pumps.berghia will go everywhere to get at aptasia,including inside a return pump and survive to the main display with no harm.there is no difference between a high flow or low flow berghia.it is the same berghia with better marketing to squeeze a few extra $ out of your pocket.as for survivability in shipping,it is better that they are at least 5/8"as i have found the smaller ones don't ship well
Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Vendor

Kraken is on a distinguished road

Yes. Unfortunately thats the issue with most people who did not have very good experiences with bergia. I used to doubt it too as I did not like their price tag. But after using them myself, they are probably the best solution. I have 2 wrasses in my tank, and I was afraid that they would get eaten as well. So I took precautions and made sure the bergia were safe in an enclosed box with some aiptasia in there so they can get comfortable and start reproducing. Once they get going, they massacre the aiptasia in your tank in no time. Peppermints I tried, putting 20 in my tank, which got devoured by my hawkfish and my black tang for somereason ate them too =.=.....no clue why. Just remember you cannot just throw the berghia in there, especially with predation. They do not like a lot of light either and only come out to hunt at night as stated by monocus.

Sadly I didnt take before and after shots of my tank but the amount of aiptasia I had was disgusting.

If I can find my hands on a lot of aiptasia ill document the whole thing so everyone can see just how effective they are.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 AM
Vendor

Kraken is on a distinguished road

OKAY!

I just filmed this video litterally last night. Sorry for the crappy quality but I shot it with the wrong settings on my gopro.

Here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGFO-...ature=youtu.be

Hope you can see the aiptasia on the zoanthid rocks.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:01 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Thats pretty awesome!

Tags
aiptasia, berghia, infestation, kraken, nudibranch