Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM

damtrees420 is on a distinguished road

sucks when it happens to you buddy bought a motorhome started driving it home 2 hours later the engin went and he wasnt even close to home so had a pricy tow bill to add to it
Old 08-30-2013, 05:37 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

You did good by helping him out, though I wouldn't fault you at all for any of this. Whenever I buy and sell used cars (of which I've done many) it's always Caveat Emptor - "Buyer beware". You didn't hide anything from him, you even told him it was driven lightly...

Seven years ago I bought a 1991 RX7 convertible (which is still my baby). When I bought it the guy even warned me that the 2nd sychromesh was a bit wonky. Two weeks later I parked the car in a parking lot and the transmission totally grenaded itself. It was so seized that the car couldn't roll. They needed two winches to drag the car up onto the flatbed to take it to the shop. A tranny rebuild and the tow cost me almost 3 grand. Was the tranny close to done when I got it? Did I kill it when I drove it like a race car (which it is... so, who wouldn't?)? Who knows... I called the guy and had a chat with him to find out more history about the car but never had any expectation that he owed me money.

The fact that the kid was telling you he was going to mod the thing tells me (and I can guarantee this) that he was rat-bagging the **** out of the engine in the few days he had it. If it had never been run over 4000 rpm, redlining it (especially with a known mechanical issue) is going to cause some problems. Even when I buy a used car I slowly condition it up to high RPM before just dropping the gas pedal simply because I don't know the car's history (especially with my rotary engine that can rev up to 10,000 rpm). Obviously the kid was new to cars and doesn't know much about their care.

You saved his butt and earned major karma points for the year. You dodged a bullet for repairs. So yeah, you both got lucky in that regard.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
It could just be a coincidence. I mean obviously this vehicle has a known issue and that's why the dealer has extend the warranty coverage. The reason it never had a problem in 6 years is probably because it was babied by you and this young kid with a heavy foot jumps in and took the motor when it had never been before so I do consider both of you lucky! its not anyone in particulars fault per say but who cares,the dealership is covering it.
Since we are on the subject, please keep your records of maintenance on your new vehicle or ask the previous owner for all the documents of service that has been performed on the used vehicle you are about to purchase cause you never know when it's gonna come in handy. Its not a must for brand name specific dealership service, any midas, mr lube or joes mechanic will be fine but it does help if your vehicle is serviced at the dealership, it makes it easier for them to justify the goodwill they are extending to you.

Nicely done reef supplies! Maybe you should extend some good fortune in discounted prices to us. just kidding.
Yupp, ALWAYS keep your documents of service...you never know!

We will have a crazy crazy RO filter sale soon...very soon :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
u just did a great PAY IT FORWARD. well done man.
Least I could do for the guy...and again, I saved my a$$ as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damtrees420 View Post
sucks when it happens to you buddy bought a motorhome started driving it home 2 hours later the engin went and he wasnt even close to home so had a pricy tow bill to add to it
That sucks!

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
You did good by helping him out, though I wouldn't fault you at all for any of this. Whenever I buy and sell used cars (of which I've done many) it's always Caveat Emptor - "Buyer beware". You didn't hide anything from him, you even told him it was driven lightly...

Seven years ago I bought a 1991 RX7 convertible (which is still my baby). When I bought it the guy even warned me that the 2nd sychromesh was a bit wonky. Two weeks later I parked the car in a parking lot and the transmission totally grenaded itself. It was so seized that the car couldn't roll. They needed two winches to drag the car up onto the flatbed to take it to the shop. A tranny rebuild and the tow cost me almost 3 grand. Was the tranny close to done when I got it? Did I kill it when I drove it like a race car (which it is... so, who wouldn't?)? Who knows... I called the guy and had a chat with him to find out more history about the car but never had any expectation that he owed me money.

The fact that the kid was telling you he was going to mod the thing tells me (and I can guarantee this) that he was rat-bagging the **** out of the engine in the few days he had it. If it had never been run over 4000 rpm, redlining it (especially with a known mechanical issue) is going to cause some problems. Even when I buy a used car I slowly condition it up to high RPM before just dropping the gas pedal simply because I don't know the car's history (especially with my rotary engine that can rev up to 10,000 rpm). Obviously the kid was new to cars and doesn't know much about their care.

You saved his butt and earned major karma points for the year. You dodged a bullet for repairs. So yeah, you both got lucky in that regard.
There is no dought that the guy pounded the heck out it it. Like you said, when you buy a used car you should always ease into it especially when a car has been babied.

Had sort of the same thing happen to me with a used Jetta I had bought. The car had about 100K on it, i had bought it for winter use. I bought it December 26th, I parked it down my driveway until January 3rd. When I went to back out the reverse gear would not engage. Had to have it towed and the tranny's reverse gear had to be rebuilt. Cost me $1500!

Ray

http://www.reefsupplies.ca