Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-23-2008, 04:59 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I wish I could loan you my Lookdown. He solved my coral goby "problem" in about 1 week. I had 6 of them...briefly.

If they would just STAY in the coral heads they would be fine...but nooo...they have swim around from coral to coral to...oops.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 10-23-2008, 11:21 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I had a yellow one before that liked to nip at SPS polyps - had to go. Easy thing was catching him, just pick up the coral. No more of these guys for my tank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoeujon View Post
i picked up a mated pair of yellow clown gobies on the weekend and im not sure but it looks like they may be going after the polyps on my millipora. does this make sense to anyone or am i worrying for nothing.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 PM

WhoPoopWrasse is on a distinguished road

I have a mated pair and they never did anything to the coral, probably they are just munching on crap/pods on the coral. Are the polyps still extended? If so no damage done. I love my little guys, they lay eggs every week or so and yesterday the eggs actually hatched in the morning so I got to see the little ones for about an hour before they disappeared

On a side not what does it take to rear these little guys?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...user=4356&sl=w
Old 10-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

quattros right IME...
These guys are bad, as a matter of fact, sps polyps are the only thing I have seen mine eat...lol
and I'm pretty sure he stressed out one of my JL 70 dollar frags to the point point of death....
not 100% on this but it was his favourite perch and none of the other 15 or so sps were affected and params are bang on.
Fortunately for him, clown gobies are one of my favourite fish and essential to my 'scape.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

sorry, further to this...
the realbigal and I have witnessed a clown goby in his tank take a few polyps off a milli....
it was a vicous attack and earned himself a home in my tank where he lives in my hailmeda and hides from my other clown goby...lol

Last edited by Whatigot; 10-23-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Polyp eating is a common behavior with these guys. I'm surprised by the number of people here who say they've never heard of this. Search the SPS forum on RC and you'll see that the majority of SPS keepers refuse to keep clown gobies in their SPS tanks for this very reason.

There are a few people with rather large tanks that put up with the polyp eating behavior because they have many, large, healthy, fast growing colonies in large tanks that grow faster than the gobies can destroy. This is similar to some SPS keepers housing species of angels and file fish that are known to eat SPS polyps - these hobbyists put up with some coral eating to keep a diverse array of fish they enjoy.

Personally I wouldn't chance it in a small tank.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 10-23-2008, 02:52 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

Interesting, I did not know this either. I have one, and he perches on the small amount of SPS that I have in my 60 gallon. He actually loves the birds nest, and goes right into the middle. Havent caught him nipping, but pretty cool little fish if he is not eating expensive coral
Old 10-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 year old pair of green clowns and have had yellow and brown clowns in the past and never saw them nipping SPS. That being said, I only have Monti caps, digitata, and have had birdsnest in the past as well. No millis or acros. I'm not suprised that they nip SPS, but it would be suprising to me if they killed the colony they host in.

-Diana

Old 10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

green and yellows are almost different species in their behaviour IMO...
The yellows are bold and aggressive, the greens are meek and usually the victim of aggression.

I have tried both, even together in my early days of reefing and admittably, tried a few of the 7 dollar fishes and always found the greens were dominated by the yellows.

I have never seen a green nip at polyps, but again, my current yellow one has never been seen eating anything BUT sps polyps.

Only my observations, no labratory scientist here....
Old 10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I have a 4 year old pair of green clowns and have had yellow and brown clowns in the past and never saw them nipping SPS. That being said, I only have Monti caps, digitata, and have had birdsnest in the past as well. No millis or acros. I'm not suprised that they nip SPS, but it would be suprising to me if they killed the colony they host in.

-Diana
come to think of it, it's only been acros and millis that I have seen them nip at...
hmmmmm