Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 PM

Tigweldpro is on a distinguished road

The 4 clowns all came from the same batch of fry. They haven't shown any aggression yet and are always together in a ball. Maybe when 2 decide they will be a pair there will be fighting but nothing yet.

Both of my mandarins actively chase down and eat mysis, and have fat bellies.

The question being asked is tank stocking levels, not compatibility and feeding requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calo247 View Post
i also see you have 4 clownfish, are they mature? it is VERY rare to see them all get along, chances are you will end up with 2

and 2 mandarins in a 90 wont work, even one will destroy the pod population in your tank, a mature 90 can support one though
Old 01-05-2018, 10:35 PM

DorySaid is on a distinguished road

I don't think there is an easy answer. The whole aquarium hobby is filled with anecdotal advice and strong debates. Only a fraction of the information out there is halfway correct for the simple reason everyone's system is different and there are too many variables that can vary results or experiences.
Some basic obvious things can be 100% relied upon such as, a tank has to cycle before adding a bunch of livestock or corals need some levels of flow to survive. As soon as we start venturing away from those basic facts, there are many different opinions out there revolving around many subjects. People are really only going to rely on their trials and tribulations when giving their two cents even if literature says otherwise.
But to your point, I really think you have to take an overall perspective of what is in your tank and what is going on in your tank. Nutrients are something important to consider, but also how happy are the fish invertebrates and corals. If you set a threshold for nutrient levels ( not necessarily a set number read from the internet ), where your corals and other livestock are content with, and also how well do tankmates get along then I think you wouldn't need the internet to give you a magic number.
As long as your fish are eating and happy and not bumping into each other, and corals are doing well, I don't think you need to align your tank parameters with anything else or anyone else's tank set up.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:08 PM

Tigweldpro is on a distinguished road

Very true, I think I will add the 2 fish I have in QT in a week or so and then let things settle for a while before thinking about a copperband or foxface.

Most of the fish I have are small and or stay on the bottom. Blenny, mandarins, watchman goby/shrimp all keep to them selves. Wrasses are pretty timid and are buried most of the time, the only fish that actually swims around a lot is the yellow tang. Clowns stay in the top corner unless theres food.

When sitting back and watching the tank it does not look overstocked by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorySaid View Post
I don't think there is an easy answer. The whole aquarium hobby is filled with anecdotal advice and strong debates. Only a fraction of the information out there is halfway correct for the simple reason everyone's system is different and there are too many variables that can vary results or experiences.
Some basic obvious things can be 100% relied upon such as, a tank has to cycle before adding a bunch of livestock or corals need some levels of flow to survive. As soon as we start venturing away from those basic facts, there are many different opinions out there revolving around many subjects. People are really only going to rely on their trials and tribulations when giving their two cents even if literature says otherwise.
But to your point, I really think you have to take an overall perspective of what is in your tank and what is going on in your tank. Nutrients are something important to consider, but also how happy are the fish invertebrates and corals. If you set a threshold for nutrient levels ( not necessarily a set number read from the internet ), where your corals and other livestock are content with, and also how well do tankmates get along then I think you wouldn't need the internet to give you a magic number.
As long as your fish are eating and happy and not bumping into each other, and corals are doing well, I don't think you need to align your tank parameters with anything else or anyone else's tank set up.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 AM

calo247 is on a distinguished road

it all depends on the fish lottery as well, i had a lawnmower blenny who was such a dick to my goby i had to take him out, but most times they get along fine as long as everybody has a cave they can call home.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

The questions you have to answer is how long have you been keeping Marine fish, how long do you want to continue keeping Marine fish and what is the life expectancy you want for your livestock?

The more fish you add the shorter the answer will be to these questions.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I have a pretty heavily stocked 150g and am now forced to go bigger as I have fish that have grown very large. I agree with the bioload adding to the high nutrients as I’m battling this at the moment. There are several methods to reduce the nutrients though. The biggest thing to me as mentioned above is the amount of room the fish have to swim, suitable hiding spots, sleeping spots and overall how well the fish get along. The more fish the more competition for the few spots in the tank. You are always drawing a straw with a new addition to the tank. Slow and steady wins the race

Tags
overstocking, stocking