Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-25-2020, 08:12 AM

Dresden is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Dresden
Default 24 Hour Power Outage - Sharing My Lessons

Unfortunately lost power for 24 hours a few days ago. Didn't sleep and put in hot ziplock bags of water in the tank every 20-30 min and basting water flow and oxygen trying to keep the tank 75+ degrees.

Could have been much worse, here's the results:
- Lost 1 cleaner shrimp, other survived
- BTAs looked bad and melty but have recovered and one split
- About 1/3rd of the Xenia has disappeared or melted (Needed a trim anyways)

Ordered one of these for next time:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a generator from a few years ago after a 4 days power outage but it was still in the box and was hesitant to setup right away and by the time I did the power came back on.

Water movement plus the ziplock bags I feel would have been fine during the day. Rely on the UPS at night plus a low wattage heater would maybe improved the situation.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and feedback.

My tank is a JBJ 28g
1 Kessil 360wa
2 Osc Clowns
1 Diamond-headed Goby
1 Violet Damsel
1 Cleaner Shrimp
All softies and LPS coals
Old 12-25-2020, 09:14 AM

Before: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CfsvfTwfKVoutahz9
During: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xAphY5uAFeGnSM6s5
After: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bmZYNSAn5FCq8z4e9
Old 12-25-2020, 05:31 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a marine AGM battery, inverter, trickle charger and transfer switch. I bought pretty decent equipment so the set up cost about $1000 but it gives me piece of mind. I don’t have to be home, if the power goes out, whatever I have hooked up to the battery stays on with no interruption. The longest it’s run was 24 hours and the battery was only about half drained - that’s with two gyre pumps and a 150 watt heater running. I’m guessing with no heater the battery would run the pumps alone for several days.

When I priced this out, I found you could build this for closer to $300-450.

Considering how much people spend on livestock, this kind of battery back up is cheap. Mine has kicked in 5/6 times this year and I don’t have to worry about anything. It can be a little hard on the battery but oh well, it’s back up.

Like working with any electricity, know what you’re doing before taking on these projects.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:18 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

If you have a generator never be afraid to use it regardless of how long the power is out for and depending on how powerful it is you will have to choose what to run the smaller the generator. I have a small generator that can run one powerhead and a small heater or it can run just the return pump.

I also have a battery powered airstone as a backup for moving oxygen in the tank.

UPS(uninterrupted power supply) for computers will work in a pinch but you have to choose what to run on them as they are designed for computers not SW equipment and get the largest you can afford if it says 4 hours of life expect at best for it to last 2.5hours running one powerhead as they draw a lot of power.

As to retaining heat just cover the tank in a thick blanket I had to do that several years ago when it hit -28c and we lost power for 18plus hours my tank cooled by 8 degrees but that was livable considering the options. You will lose a lot of heat through the top of your tank so wrapping it will conserve heat.

The biggest thing is water movement either by powerhead or via airstone both of which will supply oxygen nothing in your tank will be happy but they will at least stand a better chance of survival.

Last edited by Dearth; 12-26-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:34 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

I make sure my generator is easy to start for 2 reasons, #1 Inlive in Alberta where -30 is common in the winter and #2 I have a family. I make sure that generator runs easy because you dont want to be messing around when its -30 outside. A decent generator will let you back feed your panel and allow you to run a couple lights in the house and your furnace at the very least. From there you could run a heater, skimmer, and return pump. So you could make sure water is moving, it is staying warm, and air is getting into the system via the skimmer.

Hopefully people read this and setup some no power redundancies for their home and aquarium.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:23 AM

Good advice everyone. Next time I'll be quicker on the generator setup now that I have everything ready to go.

I ordered one of these as well in a pinch:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read that a battery powered airstone is good as well to heave on hand.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

My system around 400 gal includes a 180 gal a 125 gal a 75 gal and a 90 gal sump.

I have a small generator for any lengthy Power outage.

I have a Toyota Tacoma and it came with an inverter built into the Box. I have a heavy duty extension cord that I run from the truck in my garage to the tanks.
I then run 1 heater and my amp master return pump for 10 - 15 min every 2 hours to help nurse the system until the power comes on. Living in the lower Mainland I do not have to worry about -20 or -30.

You most important issue is some kind of water movement as the water sits the salt (being heavier than water) content drops to the bottom of the tank and suffocates your fish and corals.

Remember your plan is only effective if you test it and it works, so once or twice a year testing for a power outage will give you peace of mind.