Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 AM

Clay&Chey is on a distinguished road
Default Removing center brace on 130g

Hi all I have a 60.5x18.5x27.5 all glass tank with half inch glass all round and 5\8 on bottom. I also have a 14" glass brace 1/2" thick thats just the perfect obstruction in the middle? My idea... I can box the tank in (sides) from top to bottom with whatever size plywood and brace it as much as i want. Will this allow me to remove my black trim, cut out the center brace and go with 3" eurobracing all the way round? Have any of you done this? I know Dez cut most of his brace out and just left the perimeter. Dez why didnt you jus cut it right out and go with eurobracing? I plan to half drain my tank,but cutting like Dez, the glass would be a killer shower on all life below. Any ideas would be helpful but i really want to get rid of that brace... Thanks all

Tek light 8 bulb fixture, tunze nano wave box, vortech mp-20, rowaspas reactor, carbon, hydor preformer 600 skimmer, quiet one 6000 return
Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Reason I didn't completely remove it is because of laziness and strips of thick glass costs a lot. I'm a DIY kind of guy and that was what I could DIY. Even if I tracked down some 1/2" x 5' length of glass I wouldn't be able to cut it cleanly myself. I don't regret it at all. It also means that I have a thinner lip to reach the bottom of the tank so that the "would be" eurobracing doesn't get in the way of my armpit. It also holds up my T5's. I don't see any shadows at all and the 2" strip that goes across serves as a good ledge for a defroster of frozen food. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 AM

Clay&Chey is on a distinguished road

my tank has to keep the fish and coral in it. so cutting isnt an option. i guess i'llsee what glass for eurobracing costs and if its not to $ i'll give er a go

Tek light 8 bulb fixture, tunze nano wave box, vortech mp-20, rowaspas reactor, carbon, hydor preformer 600 skimmer, quiet one 6000 return
Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I don't see why you can't remove it, if you are replacing it with a full eurobrace...

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988