Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-19-2007, 06:00 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

so are you saying the business failed because of the incorrect spelling on the sign or am i misunderstanding the point here?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

im not terribly careful when i post (evident in my lack of apostrophes and capitals) but i make sure that they are at least legible. as opposed to something like "i gotz a sumtin 4 u 2 c cuz I'z not nowin wut it b. werd." true that that would be an extreme case, but i still just ignore anything in that kind of format (or lack thereof). and im sure more experienced reefers have better things to do than try to decipher what us young schmucks are texting too.

chin, i laughed at the bowel story
Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Teach your kids to read at a young age and encourage them to take out books at the library occasionally.

Reading nourishes the mind and exposes them to new words. I think it's a better way as opposed to just "teaching" them how to spell.

Most of the people that can carve linguistically have a habit of reading substantial books and not BS like US Weekly or 7teen, or whatever the heck it's called.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:50 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
so are you saying the business failed because of the incorrect spelling on the sign or am i misunderstanding the point here?
Probably not. I do know some tourists got a kick out of it and generally went and ate elsewhere, as did the general populace. As I recall, they spent about as much time getting things correct inside as they did with the sign...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 PM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

I agree. I think that text messaging, emails, and bulletin boards (sorry) encourage people to use abbreviations, incomplete sentences, and point form. People are forgetting the skill of writing letters.

By the way, I have been unable to download the spell check for this bulletin board.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 AM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road

I seldom respond to these threads but walking back from my office to finish the dishes I had two thoughts.....over the crying baby.

Most people dont even reread what they type, and if you think of the individuals you are referring too, is what they type even relevant in most cases.

If you take the "p" out of spelling you get what I believe is an important skill.

All the best.

Wendell

PS If I mis-spelled something or my grammer is poor, my wife is too busy with the baby to check it
Old 08-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

When I go out onto my balcony, I have to inevitably look at a sign for a barber's shop across the street that reads: "Razors Edge". It makes me cringe. Call me a stickler; call me picky; call me an English major But, I have been cursed, not only with the ability to spell almost everything correctly, but also abilities in punctuation and grammar.

Woe is me.

P.S. I may be considered one of those young'uns (at 30 years), but I'm probably the exception to the rule. I always got in trouble when I was a kid because I would stay up late, with a flashlight, reading into the wee hours of the morning. Such a rebel

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 08-20-2007, 03:01 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
I always got in trouble when I was a kid because I would stay up late, with a flashlight, reading into the wee hours of the morning. Such a rebel
I used to stay up all night, and still do reading. Unfortunatly its not always books of my choosing.

I've been in university for a long time, and I've really started to notice, the severe lack of spelling and grammar skills some of my younger peers posess. There is nothing like doing a project with someone, receiving their share of the work, and then having to spend a couple hours re-writing it because of grammar and spelling errors.

Although as far as I am concerned, if I can understand the message or point, and its not an official communication that is fine. Its when I get official letters for job offers, or from my university with spelling errors, and incorrect grammar that I cringe.

Last edited by michika; 08-20-2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: ....three guesses...
Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Teehee, people in this thread keep editing their posts for spelling mistakes but I'm not sure if they're leaving some intact just for the fun of it...

It's pretty rough when you have people in your workgroup writing at a 6th grade level.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

It's pretty rough when I'm reading this at 1:17 AM

In any case, I just caught Superbad. It was super wicked. Rules like I roll... Over old people with my Hummer.

El - oh - el Marco. Beat that.