Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-10-2006, 05:24 AM

Willito is on a distinguished road
Default who uses Hanna phosphate meter

Like to hear from user experiences with this Photometer: HI 93713. Was it worth it and is it consistantly accurrate everytime?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:24 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

what's the point of a phosphate meter, when you can run an iron based phosphate remover, like rowaphos, or phosban, and never have to worry about it... unless you want some phosphate in your water?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...004/review.htm
Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I have one and use it occasionally. I consider it fairly accurate but the only comparison that I can give is to a Salifert test kit. I will consistently get a 0 reading with the Salifert test and it has shown up as high as 3 on the Hanna.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Interesting. I wonder if the meter can measure organic phosphates as opposed to the inorganic phosphates that get measured by the test kits. If so then that would be awesome.

(If I remember my reef chemistry {which I might not, but, ...} Supposedly test kits can only test for INorganic phosphate, whereas the problem phosphates in our tanks is the organic phosphate. We test our tanks in the hope/assumption that there is some correlation between the two in suspension {which might be a BIG assumption}.)

Even if the meter measured the same thing as the test kits, and one ran rowasphos/phosban it might still be worthwhile tool to tell you when it's time to replace the media. I guess it depends on how expensive the tool is though.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Willito is on a distinguished road

using phosphate remover in one thing, but knowing how much is in your water is another. By the way, zero level of phosphate is not ideal for a healthy reef environment.