Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-19-2014, 03:59 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure if there is a "best reef shop." Everyone has their favourites. Personally I like to visit them all as much as I can. We don't have a lot of reef shops in the city and the ones we do have are different enough to warrant a visit (except for Riverfront. Seriously, stay away from that place if you value your time. Their selection and husbandry for Saltwater is abysmal). As for all the other stores, you can easily catch them on one of their good days or bad days. I've seen coral die off, fish death and tank crashes at all the local stores. I've also seen wonderfully healthy fish, coral and selection at all the stores (save for Riverfront).
Old 03-19-2014, 11:59 AM

liz is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks everyone! That gives me a few to visit - I leave for Calgary tomorrow and will be there all next week! Looking forward to doing the rounds and maybe seeing some of you too?
02/2010 -75gl reef ready -sold 2011
2011-2012 - 8ft custom 150gl. - sold
02/13 - 34gl Solana, Maxspect 120 Razor 16k LED, stock modded skimmer, ATO, and Nitra-Guard Bio-Cubes (Bomb method). - sold
09/13 - Current set-up: 60 gl cube, Maxspect Razor 120 LED 16k, Octopus1000 cone skimmer, Eheim return, Nitra-Guard Bio-Cubes (bomb method)
Old 03-19-2014, 02:12 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky View Post
stay away from this guy's advice, Gold's is one of the best lfs in the city.
Gold's is a great shop. They are an example of a very good LFS in a very ugly shop. I've gotten some outstanding stuff from them and I've found them to be the cheapest in the city for snails and hermits. The important thing is to hit them after they get their deliveries; people line up outside to be the first to shop the new livestock and coral.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Baker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
Gold's is a great shop. They are an example of a very good LFS in a very ugly shop. I've gotten some outstanding stuff from them and I've found them to be the cheapest in the city for snails and hermits. The important thing is to hit them after they get their deliveries; people line up outside to be the first to shop the new livestock and coral.
That may be true but it seems like every time I go in there the acros look bleached out. So that says to me, either the water quality sucks so there is no maintenence being done or the lites are poor. Either way, I personally would not waste my time if I was coming in from out of town. Theres just other shops that are better. Liz, Golds is closed on Thursdays just so you know.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:28 PM

liz is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks Baker!
02/2010 -75gl reef ready -sold 2011
2011-2012 - 8ft custom 150gl. - sold
02/13 - 34gl Solana, Maxspect 120 Razor 16k LED, stock modded skimmer, ATO, and Nitra-Guard Bio-Cubes (Bomb method). - sold
09/13 - Current set-up: 60 gl cube, Maxspect Razor 120 LED 16k, Octopus1000 cone skimmer, Eheim return, Nitra-Guard Bio-Cubes (bomb method)
Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 PM

jordanc_17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
That may be true but it seems like every time I go in there the acros look bleached out. So that says to me, either the water quality sucks so there is no maintenence being done or the lites are poor. Either way, I personally would not waste my time if I was coming in from out of town. Theres just other shops that are better. Liz, Golds is closed on Thursdays just so you know.

I disagree with not wasting your time. When I go to a new city I check out every reef store regardless of what the locals say. I'd say check out Gold's, might as well!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 PM

SteveCGY is on a distinguished road

+1 check out golds. Never had a problem with them.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 AM

Drfu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky View Post
stay away from this guy's advice, Gold's is one of the best lfs in the city.
I agree, i like Golds as well, great frag tank & cheap. They know their coral & have good selection. Only issue i can come up with is make sure you dip ur corals first as i once got one with some bubble algae & one with apistsia but dipping cures all!