Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided
Default Good reef macro lens for Rebel EOS cameras?

I got a Rebel T2i for Xmas. Woo!!

Just looking in to lenses a bit and wondering what people are using. Not wanting to spend too much, but I would jump on the right used deal or boxing week special.

Suggestions? Thx!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:14 AM

sweet ride is on a distinguished road

grab the canon 100mm macro. You cant go wrong with that lens.

here is a link to a few pictures I've taken.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69614
Old 12-29-2010, 03:49 AM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet ride View Post

There is a lot more to taking pictures like yours then the lens.
I have 12 years photography and several thousand in equipment, and it took me a good while to figure out how to take good pictures of my marine tank, and even still I have a very hard time getting pictures like yours.

I use a Nikkor 105mm f2.8 on a D700, There is an art to it. I actually get better pictures out of my 85mm f1.8 simply because it is the lens I use more often.

But I do have to say that the canon 100mm is a lens my canon buddies enjoy.

Last edited by Jeff000; 12-29-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Another cheaper alternative is a 50mmf1.8 and a set of kenko extension tubes.

That will run you less than $250.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 12-29-2010, 05:10 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet ride View Post

guessed you missed the "not wanting to spend to much" part it is a sweet lense but at 1000.00 plus or 600 on e-bay I think it isn';t what he is looking for.

Adam, I have had my eos for a while no and still have no bought any other lense for it as while ther world of DLSR is great, the price of the lense is not.

what I will sugest is you go into a camera shop and look for 58mm closeup lense's they should run about 15.00 to 30.00 bucks each and range from +2 to +10. with these you don't get realy close they just kinda zoom the subject for ya. these are what I used when I took most of my pictures years ago with my fuji. I still have a tone of filters but my fuji is a 52mm mount where our cannons are a 58mm mount.

the 600 to 1000 buck macro lense does do a better job but for internet posting and normal pictures you won't notice the difference.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
guessed you missed the "not wanting to spend to much" part it is a sweet lense but at 1000.00 plus or 600 on e-bay I think it isn';t what he is looking for.

Adam, I have had my eos for a while no and still have no bought any other lense for it as while ther world of DLSR is great, the price of the lense is not.

Not spending much is all relative. I wouldn't buy a used lens without personal inspection and use on my camera for testing first.

Look at sigma 50mm F2.8. At around 400 bucks brand new its a great buy and a great lens for lots of things too. And being a FF lens it will be more like 80mm which is a great focal length.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

For the Canon camera, I would suggest the same as sweet ride, to go with the 100mm f2.8 usm macro lense.
I bought mine used off of ebay for $400 shipping included and I am super happy with it.
I don't have near the photography skills as sweet ride, but the type of shots you can take with it are just amazing.
Here are a few of mine.

The little 58mm screw on macro lenses +2 - +10 work more like a magnifying glass and while you can get a little close up, you don't get nearly the depth of field nor the clarity a true macro lense gives you. I tried them. You can get them for around $15 on ebay.

I have also heard great things about the sigma 150mm f2.8 macro lense though I have never used it.

Also might I suggest when you do get a good macro lense, to get a tripod and a remote shutter as this will greatly reduce camera shake making your pictures much sharper.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I would look for a used 100mm or 65mm macro to save money. Any macro lens will produce similar results provided you can get close enough for the 1:1 focusing distance. The lower the mm the closer you'll have get to the subject.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 PM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

hey adam, i would suggest any of the sigma lens series, there sharp as canon and have a much longer warranty, canon's is a one year whereas most of sigma's are ten years! unless your really into wasting a bunch more money simply for the name then i would stick with sigma or a used canon, canon's L series lenses are worth every penny however unless your a pro or serious amateur i wouldn't spend the extra. or if your on a really tight budget you could try the kenko close up extension tube, you just won't get the quality and sharpness of a true macro lens.

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 01-01-2011, 02:30 AM

sweet ride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I was just replying to the question. As always if you wanted to get a lens and would like to get the most out of it and your tank the I would stick with the Canon 100mm macro, Sigma macro lens per the other post is definitely comparable. At the end of the day you can always use the lit lens.

Here are a few pics taken with 100mm macro

and a few pics taken with the kit lens.