Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I use prodibio with great results but... I took a lot of reading. What I found best is a modified program. Prodibio does not contain a carbon source. The Bioptim is strictly a amino and trace supplement. (the same as zeofood food)
So. I still use the biodigest, substituted the Bioptim for zeofood and added a carbon source of zeo start. This accompanied buy a huge skimmer I have effectively brought no3 and po4 levels to a super low levels.
To the point I have been adding some skimmer (tablespoon) back to tank periodically to raise nutrients.

I am currently battling some valonia but am using peroxide to kill it. I'm not sure if the spores are still able to seed from there on but it is making a huge impact
I thought both those were to reduce nutrients. With the reef booster being the amino, etc. If Your correct then the Bioptom would be feeling the algae.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:59 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Product called DinoX claims to get rid of bryopsis. However I've never used it and am unsure how safe/effective it is.

Hydrogen peroxide does work for spot removal as stated. I use a salt water / hydrogen peroxide mix to dip zoas if I notice any bryopsis on them.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Rest In Peace

Their page says Bioptom is feeding the bacteria from the Biogest.

Bioptom provides the Biogest bacteria with the micronutrients needed to optimally purify saltwater and improve water conditions.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:10 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

It's hard to tell if it's Bryopsis from your photo, it looks like garden variety hair algae to me. I was under the impression it has a fern like structure, like this:

When I had Bryopsis years ago I found it easy to get rid of by basting with boiling water, but then I didn't have a forest
Old 11-14-2015, 06:15 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I thought both those were to reduce nutrients. With the reef booster being the amino, etc. If Your correct then the Bioptom would be feeling the algae.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Their page says Bioptom is feeding the bacteria from the Biogest.

Bioptom provides the Biogest bacteria with the micronutrients needed to optimally purify saltwater and improve water conditions.

Reef booster is amino plus additives for coral.. Just like zeo coral vitalizer and zeo aa

The Bioptim is directed toward the bacteria. But contains no carbon

This is why I chose zeofood over Bioptim. To me it seems easy to overdose the Bioptim which is used up buy the bacteria but one vial may be to much depending on the tank. At least with zeofood it's buy the drop so you can dose less more often.

I've done strictly prodibio and strictly zeo. Both Imo have pros and cons. But in my experience have found that my tank benefits from a customized program.
It seems that when these product are released they are vague on how each one affect our individual tanks and you need to learn the tank to understand what it needs and when.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:19 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Bryopsis can grow very sparsely as well, that's quite a forest ^^^ it can start with single strands and all over... Before you try Algaefix Doug I would do some research if you haven't yet, there looks to be quite a few negative reviews after doing a quick search on Google. Some thing's mentioned are ammonia spikes, loss of sensitive fish and negative impacts on some corals, maybe just softies though. If only the stuff didn't release spores when manually removed, other wise the battle would be much easier
Old 11-14-2015, 06:31 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I can see how a nutrient spike could be an issue, that could be a lot of die off all at once. Before I used Algaefix I had scrubbed as much as I could off the rocks and let it collect in a filter sock. I had plucked and dipped for months and was getting nowhere. BTW, I just had hair algae.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

First, borrow a Samsung and get a good pic of that stuff to see what it really is
Old 11-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

its not bryopsis or hair algae, ive had the same stuff but could never id it...
Old 11-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Rest In Peace