Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Reef Puffer is on a distinguished road
Default serious green water "needs fix"

so i have this really bad suspended algae bloom that i cant seem to get rid of. the water changes just dont cut it, im about to black out the tank (a real pita imo) but will that even fix it or will it come back with the lights on? a little history on the system: my lights were on a bit long (and maybe 1 bad bulb) but never really caused much issue. phosphates are 0 nitrates are 0 (witch i found a little odd?) nitrite 0 and my 3 different ammonia tests read 3 different levels so im not quite sure there? but everything seemed good (altho i hadnt done a water change since i moved my tank 2 months earlier). 30% water change = nasty green water the next day. lots of large or small water changes and alot less light seems to have done nothing to help the situation. has been over a week now and hoping black out will fix it? just seeing what others have done in the past and what truly might help. any ideas, thanx
Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 PM

Aquarium_Medics is on a distinguished road

Get a UV sterilizer. It will remove the suspended algae.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Hiab422 is on a distinguished road

If you have a sump and room in it try building an algae scrubber easy to do and the results are fantastic.I have one running now for 2 weeks and i can,t beleive the effect it has had on my tank green hair disappearing and some red slime is now all gone.There is a thread started in the reef section have a look at it.
Cheers Larry.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 PM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

IMO - One of the most successful ways to remove an algae out break like you have explained would be to do a 30% WC - Black out for 3 days (Don't worry about feeding as your fish will be fine) and another 30% WC after that. You should be good to go.

I'm sure you already know the causes as you suggested the bad bulb, longated photo period, and possibly to much direct sunlight from a window etc.

This is just what I have done in the past and it has always been sucessful. UV sterilizers will work as well but if you have a larger tank a UV big enough to treat your water to the point you want it to would cost a nice chunk, when that money could be put back into your system for other things.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 PM

unfortunately uv isnt and option right now. and that scrubber basically does what my chaeto does if im correct? from what i have read tho, both great options. my cheato hasnt been getting as much flow to my system for the last couple weeks. could that maybe be the cause of the suspended algae bloom all of a sudden? will the chaeto out compete the bloom? i pulled the chaeto from my tank because i was gonna black it out. should i forget the black out, put the chaeto directly in my dt, and continue with water changes? my kids are complaining they cant see the fish anymore, last thing i wanna do is cover it up so we cant see anything at all.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Puffer View Post
unfortunately uv isnt and option right now. and that scrubber basically does what my chaeto does if im correct? from what i have read tho, both great options. my cheato hasnt been getting as much flow to my system for the last couple weeks. could that maybe be the cause of the suspended algae bloom all of a sudden? will the chaeto out compete the bloom? i pulled the chaeto from my tank because i was gonna black it out. should i forget the black out, put the chaeto directly in my dt, and continue with water changes? my kids are complaining they cant see the fish anymore, last thing i wanna do is cover it up so we cant see anything at all.
It very well could be, you're very right the Chaeto in very simple terms is a fast growing plant that out competes the algae for nutrients meaning that the algae has nothing to "feed" or grow off of.

You could always increase the flow, i'm assuming the chaeto is in the fuge? More flow means more water movement but this would be a SUPER slow process.

The kids are complaining I would suggest you do the WC/BO/WC and you wouldn't be able to see the tank for 2-4 days BUT you can't see the tank right now anways
Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZRaTTy View Post
It very well could be, you're very right the Chaeto in very simple terms is a fast growing plant that out competes the algae for nutrients meaning that the algae has nothing to "feed" or grow off of.

You could always increase the flow, i'm assuming the chaeto is in the fuge? More flow means more water movement but this would be a SUPER slow process.

The kids are complaining I would suggest you do the WC/BO/WC and you wouldn't be able to see the tank for 2-4 days BUT you can't see the tank right now anways
yes the chaeto was in my sump/fuge (for about 8 months with no issues) untill i moved it to a slower flowing fuge a couple weeks back (then did my long overdue w/c last week). then BAM green water (and i mean GREEN, i cant see the fish till they r at the glass). the only fish bothered seems to b my little scooter blenny. i read about low oxygen during the algae bloom. is blasting air through a power head bad for the fish at all? should i just have an air stone, or is just the skimmer sufficient? i guess ill just prep for wc/bo/wc and put the chaeto back in a higher flow area when im done. other than a uv sterilizer i dont see any other fix. pretty sure its not gonna fix itself anytime soon... thanx
Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Puffer View Post
yes the chaeto was in my sump/fuge (for about 8 months with no issues) untill i moved it to a slower flowing fuge a couple weeks back (then did my long overdue w/c last week). then BAM green water (and i mean GREEN, i cant see the fish till they r at the glass). the only fish bothered seems to b my little scooter blenny. i read about low oxygen during the algae bloom. is blasting air through a power head bad for the fish at all? should i just have an air stone, or is just the skimmer sufficient? i guess ill just prep for wc/bo/wc and put the chaeto back in a higher flow area when im done. other than a uv sterilizer i dont see any other fix. pretty sure its not gonna fix itself anytime soon... thanx
Instead of blasting air through your Powerhead you could always point through the surface for some agitation which would give you some extra O2 action!!

The low oxygen wouldn't be direct cause from the algae. I'm no biologist but it makes sense!

I sounds like your problems started when you moved the chaeto and did a WC. So why not try to go back to the old ways and If that doesn't work...........(which i'm quite certain it will) I give up!

You can also PM me if you need.

Last edited by HaZRaTTy; 02-11-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Its sounds like the skimmer is insufficient if you're having this problem. It might be time for an upgrade. What is your current skimmer and how large is your system? Blasting air bubbles into the tank shouldn't hurt the fish but trapped air bubbles around the tissue of coral could kill them if you have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZRaTTy View Post

The low oxygen would be direct cause from the algae using it for photosynthesis. I'm no biologist but it makes sense!
Photosynthesis in plants and algae produces oxygen. Respiration in animals and fish uses it up and produces carbon dioxide.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 02-11-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Its sounds like the skimmer is insufficient if you're having this problem. It might be time for an upgrade. What is your current skimmer and how large is your system? Blasting air bubbles into the tank shouldn't hurt the fish but trapped air bubbles around the tissue of coral could kill them if you have any.

Photosynthesis in plants and algae produces oxygen. Respiration in animals and fish uses it up and produces carbon dioxide.
reading my post now, that is what I was trying to get out I guess I posted the direct opposite of what was supposed to be implied, but with that being said..

- If the algae doesn't produce enough oxygen in the water during the day it is possible for your oxygen content to deplete during the night. The dying organic matter and algae do use up oxygen at night along with fish. If I remember that correctly, its more relevent for a pond and algae blooms but I would assume there is some relevence to aquarium life. I guess that's where your Skimmer would come in to remove the dead oragnic matter.

Last edited by HaZRaTTy; 02-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.