Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2019, 08:53 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road
Default Marilyn the jawfish

What a journey with this fish! I added her on Father's Day, into a little cave right up front that I thought would perfect for a jawfish. She didn't move for a couple of days, then disappeared under a rock in the very back. After a week or two of no activity, I saw her motionless tail through a crack and my curiosity got the best of me and I tapped the rock. No reaction so I thought she was dead. (No sign of her eating anything at this point) Decided to get her body out, so I lifted up ALL the rocks only to have her shoot away under a rock on the opposite end of the tank. I was happy because she made a burrow where I could glimpse a shadow of her but that only lasted a couple of days and she disappeared again. One night I finally saw her again when she for some reason kept bobbing and jumping at the waterline. If not for the top, she would have jumped out. I decided to just let her be, and was disappointed that I had added a fish I would never see and likely not survive.

And now, a few days ago, she re-emerged in the very cave I had first put her into, acting like it's her home and accepting frozen food like it's no big deal at all! What. After more than 2 months, I think she's finally decided she's fine with it (Of course, now she's going to disappear again tomorrow) Moral of the story as always in this hobby, patience is usually rewarded.

She has the loveliest face. I named her for Marilyn Monroe in her white dress.

Last edited by Dash; 08-27-2019 at 09:03 PM.