Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2020, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road
Default DIY LED assistance

I built a very large DIY LED fixture over my tank about 6 years ago. It's done me proud during that time and I would consider myself quite knowledgeable about DIY LED..but i am recently having an issue that I can't seem to figure out.

I run multiple strings of lights in parallel using large Meanwell Drivers. All of the work is done correctly with fuses and resistors to protect the strings. Each of these runs 3 strings of Actinic blue for me on one side of the fixture and another for the other side. For some strange reason, during my light cycle on my APEX, one driver will shut off the LED's. This happens with no consistency. Some days the string runs all day while others it shuts off in first hour. At first I thought that the driver might be getting too hot. All my drivers are mounted to shelves in my cabinet and it can get very warm. I added some fans to the area and opened the doors to those shelves. One fan blows right on the specific driver and I can verify that it no longer gets ultra hot. Still the light turns off. I've checked that there are no fall back issues on the APEX either. The lights will not turn back on for a while after I have the APEX shut them off. If I don't interfere, then the next day they will come back on with the APEX commands. I've tracked the time it takes to allow it to come back on and it's variable...sometimes 20 min but other times over 1hr.

It's a real pain to rewire in a new driver if I don't have to...so any suggestions from LED wizards out there?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.