Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Vendor

Bill@IA is on a distinguished road

As the Reef Raft SPS pieces came on the market I was able to drive over and see many of the actual mother colonies in person. Around the time Reef Raft USA was started, the pipeline going through Reef Raft Canada to Reef Raft USA brought some of the most amazing SPS I have ever seen.

This was the Red Diablo photo circulating at that time……..

These are my frags, from the original mother colony shown in the above picture, and set them up in my SPS system. Fingers crossed I was going to be able to keep the insane colour…..

Here is what the colony and frags look like today…

RR Wolverine

Original colony……

My frag from that original colony….

And what it looks like today……..

RR Pink Floyd

Original Colony

My frag from the original colony

What it looks like today….

Check us out on Facebook. You don't need Facebook to enjoy our Facebook Page. Just click on the link: https://www.facebook.com/IncredibleAquarium

Old 10-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Bill, thanks for sharing. Comparing your pics to those from RR I can see that they are not quite the same. If RR wishes to market their products with saturated colours the least they can do is to provide more information or have a disclaimer to some extent. It would also be nice to see vendors using their own pics of the same coral rather than to use provided pics from RR. when I am buying a Ferrari I expect it to be the Ferrari like the picture I was sold on. If it looks anything else it is not morally correct advertising. For example... From your website at the time when I made my purchase in the group order in April and May of this year, you used only the pink Floyd pic provided by RR. To be honest, I was not impressed when I received it. It was dull brown and grey looking. When local reefers came by to see the new pieces, many and incl myself thought the pink Floyd was the wolverine. Anyways, I was confident that it would color up and five mths later it is still colouring up and there has been vast improvement from what it looked like five mths ago. What I am trying to say is if I had the chance to see the real pic of it I may not have made the purchase. From the group order I spent close to $400 myself so I do have some expectations, especially when a $10 or $20 dollar frag looks way better.

I have heard through the grapevine and understand how RR gets its colours but to some degree the pics may have some half truths to it. I did an experiment over the last three months to see if it works. I increased my phosphate level from 0'to .03-.04 range and I saw more colours but no where close to that of the pics. I have thought of increasing the phosphate level ( increasing dosage of amino acids) but then I decided not to as I do not want other corals to suffer for the sake of a couple.

I also want to say that the no name RR frags I got from fragbox arrived as they are in the pics taken by March and his group. I paid anywhere between 35-99 dollars for the pieces and I was quite pleased with the purchase. For the Diablo I purchased from fragbox a yr ago, it does not have the colors anywhere close to that in the RR pic. It is still a very nice piece even though it does not have that deep red colouring.

From my overall experience, i would rather buy maricultured pieces from Non RR origination as they look no different than the RR pieces, have way better coloration and fraction of RR prices. I'm sure that RR gets their selection from the same source so why pay $400 for a 1/2 - 3/4 inch frag when I could get 4-6 nice mini colonies.

Anyways, this is just my experience and opinion and is not to stop people from buying RR corals.
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller

Last edited by Rice Reef; 10-12-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

I'm just going to step in here for a sec. This topic really irks me, having seen several of my friends throw out thousands of $$$ over false advertising.

Just to use Bill's examples:

Here I've placed the two images side by side. Let's first hype the contrast and vibrancy by making modeling the levels after the source material. After a ton of tweaking, I end up with this:

At this point, we have an over saturation of white levels, so let's tone that down using the curves adjustments and some other tools. We'll also adjust the blues a little to compensate for the dominance of the reds:

Which gets us to here:

Average color sample for referrence:

For the record - getting from points A to B too no less than 15 adjustments using Levels, Color balance, Saturation, Hue, and multiple channel effects. There were a few instances where I dragged the slider from one end of the bar to the damn near the other end. IMO, I wouldn't be saying anything if I had gotten within 90% accuracy with just the white balance step.

Anyway, that's how I feel about this.

Edit: And the Wolverine (!!!!), don't even get me started on that one.

Edit #2: I'm just going to leave this here in case anyone is still under the illusion that the contextual surroundings of a featured corals are a reliable indicator of photo tampering:

Last edited by albert_dao; 10-12-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Good Guy Albert

Edit #3: I just noticed I was a bit sloppy with some of the edges on the above sample. I submit, before anyone points that out, that if I was in line to make $250/1" frag, that this would not have been the case. I would have invested more than 5 minutes into this and you would have been none the wiser.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Good Guy Albert

F-it. I'm just going to throw all of my credibility out the window by putting out there that if any vendor is interested in hiring someone to assist in the mass deluding and debasing of their clientele, LMK and we'll work something out. i

I WANT IN ON THE $$$ ACTION.

Just make sure you message me here in this thread

<3
Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for posting that Albert!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

Tn23 is on a distinguished road

Albert, nice post.
We are going to have to have a talk next week
Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Good Guy Albert

BTW guys, I'm highly motivated here:

Old 10-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Albert. I thought I was losin it... i am certain that I am done with all the RR boutique corals. They can use all the make up and lip gloss to make the sps stand-out but they won't be seeing anymore of my money.

Funny... Just crickets here now...
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 10-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Vendor

Bill@IA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post

Funny... Just crickets here now...
Wayne, were you expecting a response from me?? If so, then PM me what you are up to because I have 3 messages here, 2 from Adam and 1 from you, telling me you were happy with the group order, looked forward to the Blue Efflo replacements, and thanking me for my professionalism. There are no messages from you since then and nothing with the tone or with what you are insinuating here.

Check us out on Facebook. You don't need Facebook to enjoy our Facebook Page. Just click on the link: https://www.facebook.com/IncredibleAquarium