Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-10-2015, 12:26 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
HUH? Say whut ?!? These two things don't seem to add up. I would hardly call your last tank a "big mistake" :-)

Welcome back !
Mistake as in the tank was way too big for me. I barely could enjoy it and most of the time, I was tweaking something to keep it going. Not going to happen this time (hopefully). Thanks I am happy to be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
This big mistake was supposed to be TOTQ. Just bad timing all around.
Well I still count that as a win for me. I was happy that I could accomplish that much in such a short time. But I did learn a lot from the tank (and from all of you guys), made tremendous amount of mistakes and have become wiser Hopefully the same mistakes will not be repeated for the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maron6977 View Post
Good to see you back .
Was only a matter of time
Thanks

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-10-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
Glad to see you back Raied missed seeing your tank which I might add was to drool for regardless of what you think 😜

Btw your not allowed to leave again that's the rules
Thanks. Always appreciate your high compliments

Haha. I will try not to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Welcome back! Why don't you put a false back in it like the AIO tanks and make the compartment big enough to hold a little Tunze skimmer? Hang-on skimmers overflow onto your floor unless you mod them.
Thanks for your input. I have been thinking of getting an AIO but all the store ones are not enough for me. After seeing you idea about putting tunze inside the compartment, I contacted the aquarium manufacturer and they can make an AIO So I am getting an AIO with enough space to put in a tunze 9004. I am going to sit with the design now and hopefully can post it tonight to get more feedbacks

BTW I am getting mixed reviews regarding tunze skimmers; do you have any input on how tunze 9004 performs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Welcome back, I look forward to seeing what you put together for this time around.

In many ways it's nice to have a clean/fresh start. I can't help on the PAR readings but I sure do like the Kessil's myself, if I were to completely fresh start myself I'd give those a serious consideration. I keep looking at them for use as plant lights too.
Thanks

Yes kessil is making a lot of sense to me and I don't think A160 will be underpowered for a 18x18x15. I especially like the shimmer and how easy simple the control ability is. And no disco effect!

Old 12-10-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I Knew you be back Raied 😁

Old 12-10-2015, 12:59 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Thanks for your input. I have been thinking of getting an AIO but all the store ones are not enough for me. After seeing you idea about putting tunze inside the compartment, I contacted the aquarium manufacturer and they can make an AIO So I am getting an AIO with enough space to put in a tunze 9004. I am going to sit with the design now and hopefully can post it tonight to get more feedbacks

BTW I am getting mixed reviews regarding tunze skimmers; do you have any input on how tunze 9004 performs?
Awesome! The Tunze skimmers, like any skimmer, are very sensitive to water height so they perform much, much better if you use an ATO. You don't have to use the Tunze, I was using it as an example, there are others you could check out too that have similar dimensions.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Awesome! The Tunze skimmers, like any skimmer, are very sensitive to water height so they perform much, much better if you use an ATO. You don't have to use the Tunze, I was using it as an example, there are others you could check out too that have similar dimensions.
Thanks! Yes I will be putting in Hydro ATO to keep the level consistent.

So I have come up with the final dimensions for the tank. It is going to be 16"x20"x15". 4" inches will be used up for the three chamber AIO partition and so I will end up with a "nearly cubic" 16"x16"x16".

For skimmer, I have decided to get Aquamaxx WS1. The reef central community swears by it and although it is going to be massively overkill for the size of my tank, I want to make sure I am covered for my bad habit of over stocking. Thanks to Ray @ reef supplies for making it easier to get this skimmer.

For lighting, I am still inclined towards kessil; nothing else is making sense to me yet. I am leaving this open for suggestion; please do let me know if anyone has any better idea for light.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:55 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I can't comment on lighting as I'm not a fan of LEDS, but with those dimensions you don't have a lot of choice. If I was you, I'd make that tank 24 x 20 x 15" and use a 24" T5 fixture.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I can't comment on lighting as I'm not a fan of LEDS, but with those dimensions you don't have a lot of choice. If I was you, I'd make that tank 24 x 20 x 15" and use a 24" T5 fixture.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
I know. It's a weird size. Going bigger is not an option and I am disciplining myself not to deviate to bigger tank. Maybe I can get a halide but that's gonna fry everything up + the heat will be too much for such a small tank.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Welcome back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
For lighting, I am still inclined towards kessil; nothing else is making sense to me yet. I am leaving this open for suggestion; please do let me know if anyone has any better idea for light.
I just had the same dilemma with lighting a small tank and picked up a used AI prime and am very please with it so far. They're rated for 18"x18" spread and are controllable via an APP for Android or IOS out of the box. If you're buying new they're about the same price as the Kessil 160's. Controlling sunrise/sunset was a huge plus over the Kessil IMO
Good luck with you new build!
Old 12-11-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Welcome back!

I just had the same dilemma with lighting a small tank and picked up a used AI prime and am very please with it so far. They're rated for 18"x18" spread and are controllable via an APP for Android or IOS out of the box. If you're buying new they're about the same price as the Kessil 160's. Controlling sunrise/sunset was a huge plus over the Kessil IMO
Good luck with you new build!
Thanks for your input. The thing that concerns me about AI prime is the individual lens around the LEDs and the disco effect. Do you get any disco effect with your light? Both kessil and ai seems to be of same price.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:06 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Look into the kelo LEDs. They are just like kessil
http://kelolight.com/aquarium_detail...enuid=125&id=6