Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 PM

Torx is on a distinguished road

k...first coffee in the system.

Pretty sure the ALC module uses these, they look like 2 pin molex, but I do not know anyone who has a RKL/RKE to confirm.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Steel_Wind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torx View Post

Pretty sure the ALC module uses these, they look like 2 pin molex, but I do not know anyone who has a RKL/RKE to confirm.

No.

The relevant Reefkeeper module is the APC controller (Automatic Pump Controller, not the ALC = Automatic Light Controller)

Secondly, the control cable connector is based, I think, (NOT sure) upon a RJ45 jack ending (it could well be RJ11 though). The APC module is intended to control the Tunze line of powerheads.

Reefkeeper bus cables are based upon a RJ11 jack, though the pin out is different from a std phone cable, on that I am 100% certain.

Last edited by Steel_Wind; 01-25-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:13 PM

IGNORE THE ABOVE

Quote:

Yes and No.

there IS a two pin 0-10v connector on the ALC and MLC controllers based upon a small 2 pin molex.

The relevant Reefkeeper module for pump control, for what it is worth is the APC controller (Automatic Pump Controller, not the ALC = Automatic Light Controller). Though yes, the ALC does have a two pin style connector that can 0-10v and is a FAR more common module among RK owners.

The APC module has 4 connectors to control the Tunze line of pupmp based upon a RJ11 connector. The APC module is intended to control the Tunze line of powerheads. I know that people have used Cat5 as an underlying cable without problem though if modified properly to terminate in RJ11.

Reefkeeper bus cables are also based upon a RJ11 jack, though the pin out is different from a std phone cable, on that I am 100% certain.

I would predict that if you can modify your cable for use with a Reefkeeper APC? Or the 0-10v connector on an ALC, you could sell a LOT of these cables!

Last edited by Steel_Wind; 01-25-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:26 PM

Thank you Steel_Wind.

You basically posted everything I have just read and I agree with all of it. I am just looking for the pin out on them, but my morning is being broken up with tank maintenance and other pets plus kids, so I keep getting interrupted LoL. The pinout is all that matters, which pin is + and which is -?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 PM

Cable shot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALC 010v cable.jpg (40.6 KB, 163 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:44 PM

Here is the original post which talk about how to create a 0-10v control cable for use with a Kessil A360 and the ALC 2 pin 0-10v controller. This probably tells you which is + and - to those who understand such basic things better than I.

"Then the right and white has the hots for the reds on the ALC..." So it would appear on that above picture of the ALC on top of the yellow felt, it is the one with the red wires that is +, i.e., the one on the left.

See here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=kessil+alc

Last edited by Steel_Wind; 01-25-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:59 PM

So red is + and black is - on the ALC. Pretty typical, but you never know if a company switches up the wire colors. I can easily make one of these for someone if the demand is there.

What about the APC? The APC probably would be the better unit to use.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
So red is + and black is - on the ALC. Pretty typical, but you never know if a company switches up the wire colors. I can easily make one of these for someone if the demand is there.

What about the APC? The APC probably would be the better unit to use.
Honestly? I'm not sure about that at all. The ALC module has a 0-10v controller. The MLC modules all use 0-10v 2 pin hookups to work as far as I know. Both of these modules are far more widely owned by a lot of RKL and RKE owners than the rare APC.

The APC modules are, to date, designed to work only with Tunze powerheads and my impression is that it is not very widely owned as a result. For example, I have never, ever, seen a used one for sale.

While the APC module could work, the cost of these modules is the giveaway. To buy a MLC just for powerhead control of the Jebao WP line would be about ~$75. To buy an APC for powerhead control is $135. Anybody who owns one already owns a Tunze -- that's why they bought it; it has no other function.

I think a WP control cable rigged to work with the Molex Microfit 3.0 connectors would be FAR more popular. Plus, the RKL head unit is limited in the number of modules it can support at a max of 4. A power bar counts as a module against this limit. Most RKL owners have 1 or 2 PC4 power bars and a SL1. They have one module free. Most get the ALC or MLC light modules -- not an APC.

The fact that a RKL owner could use an ALC or MLC to control pumps (as well as Sols or Moonlights, respectively) would be attractive as hell. A Kessil owner could use the MLC to control both the Kessil lights and the WP powerheads while still being within the module limit of the RKL.

Last edited by Steel_Wind; 01-25-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Wow, thanks for all the info on RKE. I did not realize there were so many limitations, so yes, the ALC would be the ideal hook up. I will look locally for the connector first. I have a few feelers out on local members to see if I can try a cable out on their systems. But this hobby is not too popular where I am.

Last edited by Torx; 01-25-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:32 PM

I guess the point would be this:

We all know that the Apex is the preferred and more "pro" of aquarium controllers. For a fully featured unit and customer support, the Neptune Apex kicks the crap out of the RKE. (And I own both a RKE and a RKL, so I'm allowed to say this).

Where the Reefkeepr has an advantage is in the RKL side. At $119, it is a cheap entry point for basic controller functions. It has the Apex Jr. beat all to hell on price for basic functions.

Considering those who want to buy Jebao WP pumps tend to be more price conscious to start with, that combined with a cheap solution to add controllability to the RKL unit would be very popular in a way the APC based control cable would not be. Price matters.