Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2018, 02:11 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road
Default Any recent experience with coral carry on in Canada?

I live in the middle of no where. Even shipping is problematic here. I'm going to Montreal next weekend and I'd like to bring back a few corals. If I get sps or select lps I can just wrap them in wet paper towels and forgo the water. This way even a colony can be transported in less then 100ml of water.

I would like to get some flower anemones and they obviously need water. The rules in Canada are much more problematic then in the US. According to the Canadian Air Transport security authority all liquids must be 100 ml or less and fit in the 1L bag. I just filled a bag with 100ml of water and it looks like it's probably enough for a flower anemone but here is where it gets interesting. You can bring up as many 100ml liquids as can fit in the 1L bag. So in theory I can buy 5 anemones put them in 100ml of water and bring 5 more 100ml bags of saltwater and simply combine them after I pass through security.

My question is are they really this nuts over exact ML of liquid? when you put deodorant / makeup / personal products in the liquid bags I've never really seen them look at them much.
When I asked them if I could bring 10 100 ml bags of water their answer was :
"as long as the 100ml containers all fir in the 1L bag, it's permitted."

Option 2 is to check my bag, but realistically I'm not going to buy a lot of stuff and as I'm only going for 3 days a carry on is enough for my actual luggage. Seems like a waste of $30+ Hopefully someone has some recent experience.

Also while I'm posting any montreal LFS recommendations?