Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 AM

michika is on a distinguished road
Default BTAs; is this normal?

My anemone seems to be going through alot of changes, and I'm concerned about if they are normal, or if they are an indication of a larger more underlying problem. The tomato clown has grown alot; from about half an inch to just under 2 inches.

This first image is shortly after I first got it in November of 2004

This second image is about 6 months after it was first introduced. At this point the anemone had lost its bubble tips.

This is the anemone tonight, and unfortunatly the picture doesn't show the true color. The color is now white, with a neon-green tinge under my lights. Its also shrunken to half its size, and the bubble tips have returned.

Any thoughts as to what is happening?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:13 AM

seashells is on a distinguished road
Default shrinking BT

We have a BT and it shrinks considerably at night and opens in the morning. Not sure about the white color. Maybe from the lighting? How long have you had it? It took about 2 weeks for ours to find favorite location. I think as long as the mouth is closed its probably fine.

Doug
Old 10-27-2005, 04:49 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's looking bleached to me. The fact that it is shrinking is also a bit concerning.

You've had it for a while; that seems unusual to bleach after a year.

What kind of lighting do you have for this tank? How old? Do you feed the anemone, if so, what and how often?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:38 PM

400W MH, atinics, and PC lights. MH runs for 12 hours a day. The anemone is fed when its possible (it likes to select locations that are hard to feed), its usually fed silversides, or krill. Its too small to eat a whole silverside anymore though, even half would be too large, we've settled on krill because of the size.

The mouth is closed. Its just so strange.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:31 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Maybe the tomato is stressing it, aren't tomatoes fairly rough with their host ? My suggestion is to watch the clownfish behaviour in the anemone, and feed that bad boy once a day from now on to get his color back. It is looking like it's bleached (or bleaching) Your lighting is sufficient... so I am not too sure .. Surely water paramaters are all well? Like I mentioned, watch the clown and how rough he is with his host, and feed it once a day from now on , and see if this starts to help.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:36 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road

Not to hijack a thread or nothing, but my RBTA shrinks nightly into its hole. Any thoughts on that? I thought with stress he would always be shrunken, but during the day he expands..

opinions would be great

Old 10-27-2005, 04:46 PM

The tomato actually isn't that rough to be honest. I was watching her this morning, and she actually seems to be more gentle. I think her behavior is in part what made me post. Today's color looks stronger, but the whole thing looks neon green. Its a big change from the red-brown it was when first purchased.

All water chemistry tests fine as of a couple days ago. The biggest change in the system has been the introduction of a kalk drip about a month, or maybe a month an a half ago.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:47 PM

This is normal, my rose does the same as well as every other BTA I have kept. What they are doing is "flushing" their tentacles of water, and re-filling itself with new fresh water if you will.. a normal process. Sometimes you'll notice they don't always do it, and sometime more than others. If this is the case, water quality may be a factor. But generally, they are just flushing and re-inflating with new water.

Scott
Old 10-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Scott,

Are you talking about shrinking and growing throughout the day?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:49 PM

A red/brown anemone = a healthy anemone . I am stumped myself as to what's going on with yours michika. I really am not sure what to suggest as of now, other than to feed your anemone as much as possible. If it readily accepts food , your anemone is still quite healthy... a nice tightly close, puckered up mouth is also the signs of a healthy anemone. (don't feel bad that it's bleaching .. sometimes this DOES happen, even with mine it did) the main thing to watch out for is the mouth, and just see if it readily accepts food.