Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Thanks...This thing is going to be a lot of work...but I'm sure they will be able to see me from Space when I turn it on. Crazy how much light they HO LED's give off.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

Well today was a disaster. We had our variance meeting to discuss the couple of inches that our back corner was too close to the property line and after hearing from several hot headed neighbors, the city told us to start over.

Now I am left the monumental task of either ripping out the entire basement or finding a way to cut out the couple of inches we need. This sounds easy but I designed the house and everything was fit exactly the way it had to be...I had no excess anywhere. On top of that, we have no real access on the side that would need to be cut out...neighbor has put in a rock wall right there.

It's just not my day today.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear that sounds like a total nightmare
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Well today was a disaster. We had our variance meeting to discuss the couple of inches that our back corner was too close to the property line and after hearing from several hot headed neighbors, the city told us to start over.

Now I am left the monumental task of either ripping out the entire basement or finding a way to cut out the couple of inches we need. This sounds easy but I designed the house and everything was fit exactly the way it had to be...I had no excess anywhere. On top of that, we have no real access on the side that would need to be cut out...neighbor has put in a rock wall right there.

It's just not my day today.
for 2 freaking inches??? WTF?? Geez that's terrible that people can't cut you some slack for 2 freaking inches!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Gold Member

Funny thing is we have huge setbacks compared to places like Calgary. Over 8' on each property...what is it in Calgary now 8' total?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
for 2 freaking inches??? WTF?? Geez that's terrible that people can't cut you some slack for 2 freaking inches!
I guess to be fair, it is only a couple of inches at the front of the house, but almost 5 at the back right corner.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Man that really sucks. Do you have any recourse with the survey company? We are facing that exact issue with out house right now, the surveyors were almost an entire foot off in height in the backyard so now the grade level retaining walls back there are all too high. We just got the letter from the city inspector last week, so I'm still crapping my pants a little.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Man that really sucks. Do you have any recourse with the survey company? We are facing that exact issue with out house right now, the surveyors were almost an entire foot off in height in the backyard so now the grade level retaining walls back there are all too high. We just got the letter from the city inspector last week, so I'm still crapping my pants a little.
Unfortunately, no recourse. The city approved the original developers plans and so they don't even want to talk about how they were not right. Part of this whole thing may be the city covering their butts for not double checking things in the beginning. The City of Vernon is pretty corrupt. My brother built a new house in an older neighborhood. There were no sidewalks at all on the street. The city said he had to build a side walk in front of his house only (can you imagine how stupid that would be) but could get out of it if he "gifted" them a couple grand. Corruption!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Gold Member

So, worked the evening until midnight on getting these little LED's down.

Progress was slow...

Hard to believe how many of these little buggers there are:

Glad to be starting the next phase of wiring. Still waiting on my two bigger fans and on the drivers. Will also be doing a moonlight setup on here too. I haven't yet made my order from digikey.ca on the resitors and fuses but will do that this weekend.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Oh no! This is terrible.

With neighbours like that I would be inclined to find a different neighbourhood to live in. I know you're a stand up guy that made an honest mistake (that technically wasn't even YOUR mistake), you're the kind of guy that makes a GOOD neighbour, those people don't deserve you in their neighbourhood. What a bunch of jack---es.

On the brighter side (har har) your LEDs are looking pretty sweet.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 10-29-2011 at 09:21 PM.