Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM

NuraNori is on a distinguished road

Are you saying not enough light to spread the tank or just not enough light to have corals on tge edges!! I have seen the gen 1s in action and there was lots of light spread, we are looking at lps and fish basically for this tank

Nora
Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuraNori View Post
Are you saying not enough light to spread the tank or just not enough light to have corals on tge edges!! I have seen the gen 1s in action and there was lots of light spread, we are looking at lps and fish basically for this tank
to grow corals plenty of light even sps at the bottom of your tank the g2 have upgraded tir lenses so penetration is not an issue on a 26" h tank.

spread wise the g2 have not improved much from g1 its still roughly the same

you will probably see some shadoing on the edges both front to back and side to side on your tank dimensions but youll grow corals just fine in almost all of that tank.

the sols are going to improve your spread left to right (provided you have 3 ) but wont stretch to 30" in width.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM

Even if mounted parallel with the tank rather than perpendicular? I would think that should give the best spread, just thinking out loud. I won't need the push for sps so even mounting them 8-10" above the water shouldn't be an issue.

Nora
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

I had two g1s over a 72x30x24 and there was a small amount of shadowing but not bad and I grew lps and zoas no problem.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Thanks subman, that is reasureing, how high above the water did you have them mounted. Are you still running them or have since changed to something else, and if you changed what did you go with and why??

Nora
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

I had them at about 10" above the water line. My lighting is a long story lol. I'm running mitras now and love them. I I have had radions, Vegas and still have a sol over my frags. Check my build thread in my signature for pics of them running side by side

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
2 radions may not be very good for that type of tank the spread isnt great enough

vega suck,period.....ai anything sucks not much of a debate their compared to ecotech.

honestly i would go either 2 ghl or 2 x pros or possibly sunbrights,new ati coming out soon as well.
Am not implying anything here, but would be curious which brands provide better margins for retailers?

I find it a little interesting how Ecotech tries to control the selling price of their products. Is it to incent their retailers with higher margins?

Again, not implying anything here, right or wrong, just curious.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

I have been using SOL's for quite some time a just recently bought the Vega because I have had such good results with the SOL. When I tried to purchase my Vega colour in black right before Christmas I found one available in all of Canada because no one can keep them on the shelves so despite Reefwars negative comments, they are a very popular item. Having used the Vega for over a month now I have to say its well built, performs excellent, and it can support demanding SPS (even at the bottom). If a light does the job and does it well like AI and Ecotech does, what else are people looking for? Is someone's tank going to be twice a colourful, or corals grow twice as fast because they paid twice as much? I don't think so. If you are just looking for bragging rights or to belong to an elite group go ahead but don't justify it by saying all the others are crap. Besides, it's electronics, spend all you want and it's going to be worthless in a short time. A lot of people spent big money on the early "high end" LED's and they don't even rank anymore.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Am not implying anything here, but would be curious which brands provide better margins for retailers?

I find it a little interesting how Ecotech tries to control the selling price of their products. Is it to incent their retailers with higher margins?

Again, not implying anything here, right or wrong, just curious.
well i know for a fact theres not alot of profit margin with ecotech , why they regulate their pricing my guess would be to make things fair and keep retailers ordering them and not have to worry about competing with other retailers who may be larger.

ecotech is not the only one who regulates their pricing alot of other pop brands we buy for our tanks have set pricing as far as advertisng goes any ways.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperfish View Post
I have been using SOL's for quite some time a just recently bought the Vega because I have had such good results with the SOL. When I tried to purchase my Vega colour in black right before Christmas I found one available in all of Canada because no one can keep them on the shelves so despite Reefwars negative comments, they are a very popular item. Having used the Vega for over a month now I have to say its well built, performs excellent, and it can support demanding SPS (even at the bottom). If a light does the job and does it well like AI and Ecotech does, what else are people looking for? Is someone's tank going to be twice a colourful, or corals grow twice as fast because they paid twice as much? I don't think so. If you are just looking for bragging rights or to belong to an elite group go ahead but don't justify it by saying all the others are crap. Besides, it's electronics, spend all you want and it's going to be worthless in a short time. A lot of people spent big money on the early "high end" LED's and they don't even rank anymore.

ok im again pre coffee so ill play.... happily

you only found one available in canada not because they sell out so fast but because they arnt availble , heres a serious challange for you name five retailers who have the vegas in stock on their shelves and stock them reguarily??

you wont , not because retailers cant sell them ....they simply arnt available in large numbers and readily.

i bet in the coming years AI fades away period.....

im happy your happy with your light i didnt say you wouldnt be , ive used the sols,vegas,razors,mazzerra,g1,g2 and ghl and find Ai not even at par with any of the others ( although im not a big fan of the mazzerra)

i wonder what the resale value is on a vega?? i bet its also not comparable with radion or ghl which still hold their value long after.

how about other ai products??

if your only experience is with ai then you have no user merit to your comment , just your own user experience with that one light ....

pre coffee so im off the hook.....now ill go have my coffee

cheers