Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish > Seahorse

Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road
Default would like your input please on seahorses

discloser: i promise not to hound ppl with seahorses with a million questions or beg them to sell me seahorses. also i promise not to make other names and pretend im someone else with more experiance cause i have none and thats why im asking these questions.

now first question i have is other than the obvious carnivorious fish are there specific fish thats best not to house with seahorses i am ultimately thinking of one seahorse maybe a pair max.

the tank im thinking of adding them into is my 50g with the low flow it has going on in it. i am going to plan a few sps and and maybe alea plants for hold spots.

as well i know seahorses are verytricky to care for. any hints or tips would be helpful.

imnot saying im going togo out and purchase any right away i hope to research and get all info possible. for the next 3 to 6 months. i dont know of anyone in my area who has kept any. to lean on for ideas.

hopefully someone is willing to take me under thier wing and point me inall the right directions.. i will post allmy questions on this thread for ppl to answer if they wish to

thanks in advance
jeff

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 AM

Triggz is on a distinguished road

I would say your first step is to see what you have available to you in Regina in the way of seahorses. When buying seahorses you want to MAKE SURE you are buying 100% captive bred/raised. So definitely do your research.

Rayjay has an excellent write up about seahorse keeping in his signature. If you look through the seahorse forum, you will find some of his posts.

Keep in mind that there are very few fish that do well with seahorses. They also do better at a lower flow and lower temperature therefore don't always work with a lot of coral.

HTH

Ryan
Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 AM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

seahorse.org

awsome site
Old 11-01-2010, 02:44 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

I plan on a seahorse tank one day so I did a little asking around. For fish you can't have anything that eats fast like clowns because seahorses are such slow eaters, but somthing like a citron goby for instance only grwbs a peice here or there is perfect. Live food is important too, so lots of guys raise brine shrimp to feed. Probley the most important is lots of vine like things for them to grab onto like the sps you suggested.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 AM

Triggz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I plan on a seahorse tank one day so I did a little asking around. For fish you can't have anything that eats fast like clowns because seahorses are such slow eaters, but somthing like a citron goby for instance only grwbs a peice here or there is perfect. Live food is important too, so lots of guys raise brine shrimp to feed. Probably the most important is lots of vine like things for them to grab onto like the sps you suggested.

Live food is really only an issue for certain species (ie:dwarf). Most larger captive bred (Reidi, Barbouri, histrix, angustus etc.) should take frozen food (usually mysis) right from the farm. I would personally not buy a seahorse unless I have watched it eat.

Also, SPS corals usually need a higher flow rate than seahorses can handle as well as intense lighting which seahorses do not always appreciate. might want to choose some more "seahorse friendly" corals.

+1 on seahorse.org! Best resource for keeping ponies!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:27 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggz View Post
Live food is really only an issue for certain species (ie:dwarf). Most larger captive bred (Reidi, Barbouri, histrix, angustus etc.) should take frozen food (usually mysis) right from the farm. I would personally not buy a seahorse unless I have watched it eat.

Also, SPS corals usually need a higher flow rate than seahorses can handle as well as intense lighting which seahorses do not always appreciate. might want to choose some more "seahorse friendly" corals.

+1 on seahorse.org! Best resource for keeping ponies!
He he, still lots for me to learn too! I will be following this thread
Old 11-01-2010, 03:59 AM

tinman is on a distinguished road
Default ponies

well i got a couple of ponies in my rsm. i've had them for about 4 months now. i've got caulpera some rocks and a couple of clowns in there and a few crabs to get the leftovers i have one pump on during the day and both on at night, so far so good they have already had one batch of babies, but we were to late in doing something but it looks like there is another batch on the way, they are tank raised and eating frozen mysis, the size of the mysis seems to be most important, they are very slow eaters even slower than my mandarin! so kinda low maintenance regular water changes and just watch how much you feed i use a turkey baster and target feed works for me!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 AM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Jeff, it's great that you are researching before buying.
While there are a few people that succeed with keeping seahorses in various set ups with other tank mates and in coral tanks and indeed at temperatures not recommended, but they are in the minority and unfortunately for every one that exists there are probably hundreds if not thousands that fail that way.
When I first started I picked recommendations that I wanted to adhere to and ignored some others because I thought that my 12 yrs of reefing (at that time) would ensure my success.
Well, my seahorses paid the price.
Seahorse keeping can be fraught with so many problems even when you do everything to minimize chances of losses, but ignoring them definitely makes success much more fleeting.
I would suggest you start off keeping seahorses under the most stringent conditions aiding their success, and if you get past a year that way then you might consider doing some of the other things you would like to do with the tank.
Buy TRUE captive bred, keep a species only tank, start with a sterile system and cycle tank completely, maintain tank temperatures between 68° and 74°, and set up a very frequent, relentless housekeeping regime.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 AM

thank you all for the great advice so far. keep em coming the more input the more it helps me and as it seems others interested.. i have favourited the web source and will be reading intensely..

Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Jeff, it's great that you are researching before buying.
While there are a few people that succeed with keeping seahorses in various set ups with other tank mates and in coral tanks and indeed at temperatures not recommended, but they are in the minority and unfortunately for every one that exists there are probably hundreds if not thousands that fail that way.
When I first started I picked recommendations that I wanted to adhere to and ignored some others because I thought that my 12 yrs of reefing (at that time) would ensure my success.
Well, my seahorses paid the price.
Seahorse keeping can be fraught with so many problems even when you do everything to minimize chances of losses, but ignoring them definitely makes success much more fleeting.
I would suggest you start off keeping seahorses under the most stringent conditions aiding their success, and if you get past a year that way then you might consider doing some of the other things you would like to do with the tank.
Buy TRUE captive bred, keep a species only tank, start with a sterile system and cycle tank completely, maintain tank temperatures between 68° and 74°, and set up a very frequent, relentless housekeeping regime.
see i respect that completely.i know some ppl look at this as just a hobby but its not these are living creatures. i dont want to torture harm any of my tank friends as i call them. i hope to give them a great home for not only my enjoyment but thiers as well. this is why im asking for input and plan on reading your info as well.

again im not sure if i will ever go the route of the horse.. i may never do it. i am only a year old reefer after all. and reading can oly get me so far. if i cant get comfortable with myself keeping them then i will leave it until i am. i had a few loses on a few fish. and it upset me (im a baby ) recently i had two baby clowns in my qt tank commit suicide by power head. i knew i shoulda shut it down but didnt soi know it was my faut and i still beat myself up over it.

there is so much to learn in this obsession. so much a person can desire..but not everyone should aquire. i agree on the true captive bred. not only for pony's but for most fish. even if i dont take the plunge i hope this helps other curious minds as well.